Q. I am having mild sore throat. Is the attached image of my throat normal?

Dr. Laxmi Narasimha G Yadav

Can you advise on if the back of my throat is normal or has any infection? I have a mild sore throat for the past 24 hours. I am currently on Avamys, Cefuroxime, Allegra D, and Sinus rinse.

Dr. Laxmi Narasimha G Yadav

Otolaryngology (E.N.T)
#

I have seen the picture (attachment removed to protect patient identity).

It is appears as a swelling on the posterior wall of your throat. Do you have any trauma while brushing? Or any other type? Do you have any cervical neck pain?

Do you any acidity problem? Did you drink any hot fluid? Please let me know the associated symptoms and you are already using the medication antibiotics and anti-allergic. You can continue them. I want to add one more thing to that Betadine mouth gargle thrice daily for five days. Avoid cold beverages and food. Drink lukewarm water.

| 

No trauma but I do brush deep. I am an occasional cocaine user. No neck pain.

Dr. Laxmi Narasimha G Yadav

Otolaryngology (E.N.T)
#

If the swelling is increasing and symptoms associated. Please do a video consult or direct consult to your nearby ENT doctor.

| 

No acidity problem. I rarely drink hot fluid. I am taking the medication for an associated sinus infection that is also affecting one of my ears.

Dr. Laxmi Narasimha G Yadav

Otolaryngology (E.N.T)
#

It can be due to an allergic reaction or due to existing sinus infection post nasal drip. You can use the medication above and if not coming down in five days please revert.

Strictly avoid cold beverages and food for a week. Avoid smoking for a week.

| 

Can cocaine cause any problems?

Dr. Laxmi Narasimha G Yadav

Otolaryngology (E.N.T)
#

Are you taking nasal sniffing or intravenous? Cocaine will cause effects definitely, and it will delay the healing.

Heavy cocaine use can damage many parts of the body.

Examples: Loss of smell: Heavy and prolonged use can damage the odor receptors in the nose.

Reduced cognitive abilities: This includes memory loss, lowered attention span, or decreased decision-making ability.

Inflammation of nose tissues: prolonged inflammation can lead to the collapse of the nose and nasal cavity, as well as holes in the roof of the mouth (palatal perforation).

Lung damage: This can include scar tissue formation, internal bleeding, new or worsening symptoms of asthma, or emphysema.

Increased risk of nervous system disorders: Risk of conditions affecting the CNS (central nervous system), such as Parkinson’s, may increase.

|