Q. I have a sore throat for more than two weeks, even after taking antibiotics. Why?

Dr. Bruce Hudkins
This is a premium question & answer published on Mar 27, 2020 and last reviewed on: Mar 23, 2021

I am a 36-year-old male with a weight of 86 kilograms and a height of five feet eleven inches. I have a sore throat for more than two weeks. But I am taking antibiotics for seven days. I do not have any relief. I feel like something is stuck in my throat. I have a mild headache without fever. My pain scale ranges from 4 to 6 out of ten. I gargle my mouth every three hours using Difflam-C. Please suggest.

#

If your condition gets worse with antibiotics, then you can have a likely cause of thrush. It is a yeast infection affecting the throat after taking antibiotics and steroid treatment. You can take Fluconazole 150 mg daily for ten days. You can also take Clindamycin 450 mg three times a day for ten days. If you are allergic to it, then you can take Augmentin 625 mg (Amoxicillin with Clavulanic acid) twice a day for ten days. You can consult an ENT (ear, nose, and throat) doctor to rule out peritonsillar abscess or any other cause.

|