Q. I have had a persistent sore throat for more than three months. Kindly help me.

Dr. Pranay Shailendra Gandhi
and medically reviewed by Dr. Sushrutha Muralidharan

I have had a persistent sore throat for three months at the back of my throat. And I have a feeling that something is stuck in my mouth. It may be on one side of the back throat one time and on the other side sometimes. My ear will also feel closed during this situation. The problem is more when in cold weather. I am attaching the image. Kindly help me.

#

Kindly give me some time to answer your query.

Sure doctor, please take your time.

#

I appreciate your patience. Yes, I could see redness that is congestion in the throat (attachments removed to protect the patient's identity). Have you taken any medicines for the same? Do you have the problem of acidity? Mention your weight and if you are getting proper sleep.

Please give the above information for better help.

I am getting proper sleep, and I am 72 kg. I do not often have acidity. Kindly help me.

#

Any blood tests you did for this condition? Is there pain while swallowing food?

Please answer the above question.

No, I have not done any blood tests. Kindly help me.

#

Is there any associated headache, dizziness, noise in the ears, etc.? Do you smoke? Do you get sneezing or runny nose often? Please answer the questions for better help.

I only feel dizziness and headache sometimes and are not very often. Sometimes I feel lazy. There is no noise in the ear. I do smoke often, and I do not have a runny nose. I only sneeze when exposed to too much dust and cold weather.

I have a very small sensation of something stuck on my throat while swallowing these days, and it is not painful. I did not take any medication as well. Kindly give your opinion.

#

The only causes for persistent sore throat for three months are allergy, acid reflux, and smoking. So first and foremost, give up smoking. Secondly, eat less than what you are eating right now and do not sleep or lay down immediately after meals but walk for ten minutes at least. Have a proper seven to eight hours of sleep. I suggest you take tablet Levocetirizine 5 mg daily at night after dinner for 15 days, tablet Azithromycin 500 mg daily once after breakfast for five days, and tablet Pantoprazole 40 mg once daily morning before meals for 15 days. Avoid eating anything cold or too hot. Review after 15 days. I hope this was helpful.

I was really afraid of the possibility of cancer. Is it fine if I believe there is no such chance? Kindly give your opinion.

#

Cancer means tumor. There has to be growth. The tumor will cause dysphagia or dyspnoea. That is difficult in either eating or breathing. Cancer can never present as a persistent sore throat. Besides, it has to have other symptoms like rapid weight loss, bleeding through natural orifices, etc. So, it is definitely not cancer. After 15 days, if there is no benefit, we can get a CT (computed tomography) scan done to clear your doubt if you wish. I hope this was helpful.

I feel pain in the back of my body (just on the top right back area ). I am doing some part-time lifting jobs as well. Is there anything that I can relate to? Kindly help me.

#

Please try not slouching and maintain proper posture while sitting as well as while lifting. You may apply local heat to that upper back part daily for pain relief instead of painkillers. No relation with a sore throat, though.

Quit smoking, and I am sure you will be fine in two weeks. You will be stressed as smoking is a great stressbuster, but you will be fine after three weeks without it.

I hope this was helpful.

I will surely quit it.

#

Please get back if you have further doubts and for the review.

When I stretch my tongue to maximum and examine while using a torch, I could see epiglottis or a bump-like structure. Is this normal? Kindly give your opinion.

#

Yes, it is normal. Do not worry. Please get back for the review.

|