Q. My throat feels swollen, constricted, and sore. Kindly suggest medication.

Dr. Mohammed Osama Aboborda
This is a premium question & answer published on Jan 16, 2021 and last reviewed on: Feb 16, 2021

For six weeks, my throat has felt swollen, constricted, and I have an odd kind of soreness on the right side of my throat and sometimes the upper right side of my sternum. I feel the constriction all the time, but the soreness only when I swallow. The soreness begins at the top of my throat, just under my jaw's right side, and sometimes is felt around the upper part of my chest.

I told my doctor about this during a telemedicine appointment several weeks ago. She was not certain what to think of it. She suggested it could be an effect of acid reflux and told me to take Famotidine. I already took 40 mg of Famotidine daily. My doctor also prescribed Azithromycin in case a bacterial infection may cause the symptom. I completed the course of the antibiotic last week, and the symptoms persist.

I would think that this is just a typical wintertime viral infection if it had not persisted for six weeks. However, I am not sure what to do about it, particularly because of COVID-19 related encouragements to stay home. Should I visit a doctor about this in person or plan to let it run its course?

#

I think that it is the effect of reflux. I advise you to stop Famotidine and start Omeprazole 40 mg, which is a proton pump inhibitor. It is more effective than Famotidine, especially in severe persistent cases like your case.

You can start with two tablets before breakfast for a week, then decrease the dose to one tablet only. Avoid spicy foods.

Your problem needs direct contact with a gastroenterologist, not an ENT doctor only.

I will try Omeprazole. I hoped not to have to take a PPI because I am wary of the drug's long-term side effects, but I will try it because this symptom has been quite troublesome.

#

You are welcome. Keep in touch for further doubts.

|