is there any medicines for dysmenorrhea ?

Q. is there any medicines for dysmenorrhea ?

Answered by
Dr. Balakrishnan R
and medically reviewed by iCliniq medical review team.
This is a premium question & answer published on May 14, 2018 and last reviewed on: Jul 12, 2023

Hello doctor,

I am a 24 year old female, who was diagnosed with dysmenorrhea about two years ago. Last year I was given Mefenamic acid by my doctor to take for the pain and nausea. But, the medicine is not helping me, I still have pain and vomiting. Is there anything else I can take for this?



Welcome to

Dysmenorrhea is not a diagnosis, it is only a symptom. Let me put few possible causes and their evaluation and treatment forward. At this young age, the most common cause is spasmodic dysmenorrhea. The cervix is tight and the blood when trying to make its way during periods, will stretch the canal and cause pain. Pain is only during periods, on day 1 and 2. After that, the main bleeding is over, and pain disappears. If the amount of bleeding is more than normal, you can get a scan to rule out any masses or adhesions. The pain can be controlled by taking birth control pills for six months or more. It will stop ovulation, reduce the amount of blood loss and has no side effects, and it can be taken for any number of years.

If you are sexually active, then it can be infection around the uterus know as PID (pelvic inflammatory disease). Vaginal infection is transmitted during sex, so both you and your partner have to be treated at the same time, or else you will get infected again. You may have white or yellow or grayish discharge with or without itching, foul smell, pain during sex. Before treatment, confirm that you are not pregnant. I suggest you try taking the following.

  1. Tablet Fluconazole 150 mg, only one tablet after lunch.
  2. Tablet Azithromycin 1 gm, only one tablet an hour before food.
  3. Tablet Secnidazole forte, two tablets after dinner.
  4. Capsule Doxycycline 100 mg, twice a day for one week.
  5. Vaginal wash twice a day and vaginal pessaries (capsule Clingen forte or Candid-CL or Cansoft-CL), once at night for five nights.
  6. Your partner can have a local application of any antibiotic and antifungal cream (Candid B or Candiderma or Lobate GM) on the penis, twice a day for seven days.

Do treat it, as delay may send the infection inwards and may affect both of you. Consult your specialist doctor, discuss with him or her and start taking the medicines after their consent. Another possibility is endometriosis, every month the blood flows out, but a small fraction also flows into the abdomen through the tubes. This can settle around the uterus and cause adhesions onto the surrounding muscles, ligaments, and bones. This causes throbbing lower abdomen pain before periods, which gradually increases and stays even after periods are over. Sex is very painful. A scan can be done and the restricted mobility of uterus can be seen. This can be solved by reducing flow or stopping periods with hormone pills. Get an ultrasound scan of the pelvis, to rule out any uterine polyp or fibroids. There may be nothing but pain only, gradually increasing every month.

Hope I have clarified your doubts, do write back.

Was this answer helpful?


Same symptoms doesn’t mean you have the same problem. Consult a doctor now!

Related Questions:
Can Terbinaforce plus be used for vaginal infection?

.. not use Terbinaforce plus cream anywhere on the body. Do not even think of using it on your genitals. Terbinaforce plus cream (Clobetasol Topical, Ofloxacin Topical, Ornidazole Topical and Terbinafine Topical) has a potent steroid in it.   Read full

I have colorless and odorless discharge. Is it due to hormonal imbalance?

.. starting FAS-3 kit (Fluconazole, Azithromycin, and Secnidazole) weekly, one tab eight hourly for three weeks. Then insert Canesten (Clotrimazole) vaginal cream internally for seven days. Then Candid (Clotrimazole) dusting powder externally.   Read full

May I know the treatment for vaginal infection?

.. yourself checked by a gynecologist internally. Also, get a vaginal swab test done. I suggest you apply the Candid B cream (Clotrimazole and Beclomethasone dipropionate) locally till then. Please consult your doctor, discuss with him or her and take th   Read full

Also Read Answers From:

ideaComprehensive Medical Second Opinion.Submit your Case

Also Read

PCOS and Liver Problems
The hormonal imbalances in polycystic ovary syndrome could cause liver diseases. Read the article to know the relationship between these medical conditions.  Read more»
Inferior Alveolar Nerve Lateralization Technique
The inferior alveolar nerve lateralization technique is a surgical lateralization technique to reposition the nerve. Read the article to know more about this.  Read more»
COVID-19 and Ebola: Similarities and Differences
This article gives a comparison and broader overview of the outbreak of the two deadliest diseases that showed a greater incidence over the last two decades.  Read more»

Ask your health query to a doctor online?

Ask an Obstetrician & Gynaecologist Now

* guaranteed answer within 4 hours.

Disclaimer: No content published on this website is intended to be a substitute for professional medical diagnosis, advice or treatment by a trained physician. Seek advice from your physician or other qualified healthcare providers with questions you may have regarding your symptoms and medical condition for a complete medical diagnosis. Do not delay or disregard seeking professional medical advice because of something you have read on this website. Read our Editorial Process to know how we create content for health articles and queries.