Q. Why did not spinal anesthesia work properly during my C-section?

Dr. Sukhdev Garg
This is a premium question & answer published on May 26, 2017 and last reviewed on: Sep 25, 2021

I had a spinal block during C-section. But, I was able to feel the surgeon performing the surgery, and it was so painful. So they gave me general anesthesia, and I was intubated. I did feel some numbness in my lower body when they administered the spinal block, but I was still able to feel everything. What would be the reason for the anesthesia not working well in my case?

#

Thank you for the query.

• Sometimes, it is possible that even after giving spinal anesthesia the effect of the anesthesia is partial, it means at some parts the effect is present and some parts it is not.
  • There may be so many reasons contributing to it, for example, there are some septations in the space which lead to the incomplete spread of the drug, technical failure, and slight movement of the back during the procedure. It happens many times, and it is not necessary that next time if you ever had to take spinal anesthesia it will be same. It is the safest approach, so do not worry and just relax.

For more information consult an anesthesiologist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/anesthesiologist

|