Q. Having spotting for the last 8 months. Is it something serious?

Dr. Radhakrishnan Nair. B
This is a premium question & answer published on Aug 20, 2016 and last reviewed on: Dec 24, 2021

I am 28 years old. I am not sexually active. I had spotting on the tenth and eleventh of this month and again from the fourteenth to sixteenth of the same month. I had the last ultrasound two years, and it showed no cysts. I am under a lot of stress and depression. Is this something serious?

#

Do you have two cycles in a month? Your question is not clear. There can be hormonal alterations during stress, which can affect your cycles.

Thanks for the reply.

My first guess is that I have two cycles a month because the discharge around the tenth and eleventh days was almost consistent as the discharge around the fourteenth to sixteenth days. Please note that I have always had spotting around ovulation. There is no spotting or bloody show after the sixteenth, and I have no other symptoms. I was advised to get an ultrasound to check for endometriosis for my painful periods. The ultrasound did not show any abnormality. But, I know that a proper diagnosis of endometriosis needs an endoscopy. I have been under stress for a while. I have also been diagnosed with severe anxiety disorder and severe depression.

#

I understand your concern.

You said you have anxiety and depression. Are your anxiety and depression helping you in any way? All of us are anxious and depressed about many events taking place in our life. Some of them will take away our peace, sleep, and health. But, time is the best healer. Life has so many variables. It is natural to be anxious and depressed at times. This will also pass off as time goes away. It has to, and that is the golden rule set by our nature.

So, now relax and analyze why I should cling on as this depression is making you busy but not leading anywhere, just like a rocking chair. Try to come out of it by participating in extracurricular activities, some exercise, and even prayer. Start walking daily in the morning or evening for half an hour and gradually increase it to one hour. It will soothe you a lot. Since you are not sexually active, the chances of infection may be significantly less.

However, suppose you have any foul-smelling or itching discharge; in that case, you need to have a speculum examination and a pelvic examination by a gynecologist to rule out any cervical problems or infections. Even a pelvic examination by a gynecologist can partly diagnose if you are having endometriosis or pelvic inflammatory disease, which is unlikely. You will be relieved of all this doubt once you complete your investigation and examination.

I do not think that you are having any serious problems. I am sure you will make changes to come out of all your depression.

I am working very hard on my depression and anxiety. I am taking medication and having psychotherapy; I hope to see results. There is no foul-smelling discharge or itching, only the spotting, as I mentioned in a repetitive pattern over the past 7 to 8 months. I believe it is just stress. However, my fear about this issue is also driven by my anxiety. What is the actual likelihood of having something like cervical cancer in this case?

#

Good to know that you are doing everything to improve yourself. I did not say that there is a likely chance of cancer cervix, which is unlikely. Spotting could be because of endometriosis or even some polyps. It cannot be a serious problem since you have had it for the last eight months.

But a gynecologist checkup can rule out any cervical erosion due to hormonal alterations or any polyps. If so, then you will be cured completely. Even in endometriosis, it can be controlled. As you rightly said, spotting can happen during ovulation also. So, please go ahead with a gynecologist checkup.

|