Q. Having spotting for the last 8 months. Is it something serious?

Dr. Radhakrishnan Nair B
This is a premium question & answer published on Aug 20, 2016 and last reviewed on: Dec 24, 2021

I am 28 years old. I am not sexually active. I had spotting on the tenth and eleventh of this month and again from the fourteenth to sixteenth of the same month. I had the last ultrasound two years, and it showed no cysts. I am under a lot of stress and depression. Is this something serious?

#

Do you have two cycles in a month? Your question is not clear. There can be hormonal alterations during stress, which can affect your cycles.

My first guess is that I am having two cycles a month, because the discharge around day 10th and 11th day was almost in the same consistency as the discharge around 14th to 16th days. Please note that I have always had spotting around ovulation. There is absolutely no spotting or bloody show after 16th and I have no other symptoms. For my painful periods, I was advised to get an ultrasound to check for endometriosis. The ultrasound did not show any abnormality. But, I know that a proper diagnosis of endometriosis needs an endoscopy. I have been under stress for a while. I have also been diagnosed with severe anxiety disorder and severe depression.

#

I understand your concern.

• You said you are having anxiety and depression. Is your anxiety and depression helping you in any way?
  • All of us are anxious and depressed for many events taking place in our life. Some of them will take away our peace, sleep and health. But, time is the best healer.
  • Life has so many variables. It is natural to be anxious and depressed at times. This will also pass off as the time goes away. It has to and that is the golden rule set by our nature.
  • So, now just relax and analyze why should I cling on as this depression is making you busy, but not leading anywhere just like a rocking chair.
  • Try to come out of it by participating in extracurricular activities, some sort of exercise and even prayer.
  • Start walking daily in the morning or evening for half an hour and gradually increase it to 1 hour. It will soothe you a lot.
  • Since you are not sexually active, the chances of infection may be very less.
  • However, if you are having any discharge which is foul smelling or itching, then you need to have a speculum examination along with a pelvic examination by a gynecologist to rule out any cervical problems or infections.
  • Even a pelvic examination by a gynecologist can partly diagnose if you are having endometriosis or pelvic inflammatory disease, which is unlikely. You will be relieved of all this doubt once you complete your investigation and examination.
  • I do not think that you are having any serious problem. I am sure you will definitely make changes to come out of all your depression.

For further information consult an obstetrician and gynaecologist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/obstetrician-and-gynaecologist

Thank you very much for your answer. I am working very hard on my depression and anxiety. I am taking medication and having psychotherapy; I am hoping to see results. There is no foul smelling discharge or any itching, only the spotting as I mentioned in a repetitive pattern over the past 7 to 8 months. I personally believe it is just stress. However, my fear about this issue is also driven by my anxiety. What is the actual likelihood of having something like cervical cancer in this case?

#

Nice to know that you are doing everything to improve yourself.

• I did not say that there is a likely chance of cancer cervix, which is unlikely. Spotting could be because of endometriosis or even some polyps.
  • Since you are having it for last eight months, it cannot be a serious problem.
  • But a gynecologist checkup can rule out any cervical erosion due to hormonal alterations or any polyps. If so, then you will be cured completely. Even in endometriosis, it can be controlled.
  • As you rightly said, spotting can happen during ovulation also. So, please go ahead with a gynecologist checkup.

|