Q. Why am I spotting on and off for five days despite negative pregnancy tests?

Dr. Reetika Joshi

I am having a slight trace of blood when I wipe my vagina and I have been spotting on and off for about five days.

I am experiencing tenderness in my breasts too.

I took two pregnancy tests and both were negative.

#

I understand your concern and I will surely help you out.

I have gone through the details presented by you however, I would need some other details as well:

1. When was your last menstrual period?
  2. How many days does your cycle consist of?
  3. Is there any history of irregular periods?
  4. Do you track your ovulation time?
  5. Are you sexually active? If yes then, please give details like dates of intercourse, whether it was protected or unprotected intercourse since your last period?

Light spotting along with tender breasts can be a sign of pregnancy if you are sexually active. It can also be due to implantation bleeding.

Sometimes the pregnancy test comes negative in early pregnancy as the hCG (Human chorionic gonadotropin) values in blood have not risen enough or the test is not done properly.

I will request you to get a blood hCG test done for a better diagnosis.

Feel free to ask any questions or share any additional information.

Please share the requested details.

Following are the details requested by you:

1. I had my last period on the third day of this month, for five days.

2. Yes, there is a history of a few irregular periods, but not often.

3. I do track my ovulation time. It was on 18 of this month.

4. Yes, I am sexually active. I had unprotected intercourses on 17 and 21 of this month.

#

Thanks for sharing the details.

Based on the additional details presented by you, there is a high possibility of pregnancy as you had unprotected intercourses during the fertility window.

It is too early for a urine pregnancy test to give strong positive results and, ideally this test gives accurate results after missing a period by seven days.

In your case, we should wait for two to three days and get a blood hCG (Human chorionic gonadotropin) test done otherwise, get a test done around the fifth day of the next month to confirm your pregnancy.

Based on the test outcome, we can decide the future course of action for you.

|