Q. Why is there recurrent pain behind ear lobes?

Dr. Penchala Prasad Kandikattu

For almost a week now I have had recurring random pain just behind both of my ear lobes. It has been almost three weeks since I stopped Lyrica, Pregabalin completely for back pain. For the last week I have been experiencing something different which can be best described as random pressure or light pain almost behind both the ear lobes, sometimes the feeling is localized just there other times it travels towards the neck, occasionally towards the mastoid bone or it extends towards the lower jawline. I have been crazily searching to see if this is a result of any swollen lymph node fearing cancer but I could not find anything out of the ordinary on the body. Very rarely I feel this pressure going upwards to the ear and even more rarely a sudden pain arises inside the ear too but I hear no ringing or sounds. The weirdest thing is today I woke up with this sensation and I could feel heaviness behind my ears.

This has come after an acute sinus infection, cough, night sweats (for which I had to take antibiotics) that hit me when I started tapering off Lyrica last month. I have had chronic sinus issues in the past too but this one was different, never had it progress to this level. I have uploaded an image of where exactly the pain or pressure originates but right now the pain or pressure is pretty spread out randomly across the neck. Can you please tell me what is going on and what could be the cause of this pain or pressure? Medicines: Although the sinus problem seems to be resolved now I am still taking Loratadine D, Xynosine nasal spray and Librax for IBS related issues.

#

Pain may be due to mastoiditis seen in chronic allergy or middle ear infection or eustachian tube block patients. Get it done CT brain or X-ray of the mastoid. Avoid cool drinks and freeze water. Use water vapor inhalation and salt water gargling thrice a day for five days. You may use Montelukast and Levocetirizine once a day for five days. If symptoms are not improved please consult your ENT specialist, he will examine and treat you accordingly. Take care.

|