Get E-Book on COVID-19

Q. Does high-grade squamous intraepithelial lesion in the cervix go away on its own?

Answered by
Dr. Priyadarshini Tripathy
and medically reviewed by Dr. Sneha Kannan
This is a premium question & answer published on Sep 14, 2020

Does High-grade squamous intraepithelial lesion in cervix go away on its own? Two years back, during pregnancy atypical cells were shown. Last year, biopsy came back High-grade squamous intraepithelial lesions. Had leep procedure last year. A week later they called and said it spread past the margin. Said see you in 6 months. they never brought it up at that appointment and I don't think they even checked.

Dr. Priyadarshini Tripathy

Obstetrics And Gynaecology
# Hi

Welcome to icliniq. com

Thanks for reaching out with your query. I am happy to help you.

I am sorry that you couldn't recieve a good follow up after LEEP. I am unable to download/ open the file you have sent.

Let me give you some information that might help you.

Based on studies on the natural history of cervical infections with oncogenic HPV types, it has been seen that though some ( very less) HSIL lesions regress but the risk of invasive cervical cancer couldn' t be ignored.

For the adequate treatment of CIN2 or CIN3, the entire lesion and transformation zone (TZ) must be destroyed or excised. This can be achieved by ablative or excisional treatments. Ablative methods such as CO2 laser ablation are effective but infrequently used in modern practice. Excisional methods such a large loop excision of the TZ (LLETZ), loop electrosurgical excision procedure (LEEP) or cold-knife cone biopsy are preferred.

So it's important to have a quick check with any colposcopist.

Hope this helps.

Feel free to reach out with any further queries.

Was this answer helpful?


Related Questions:
I have something like genital warts. Please confirm if it is the same.
My pap test is abnormal with brown discharge. Why?
I am suffering from burning sensation and inflammation in anus after intercourse. Will this be HPV?
Consult by PhoneConsult by Phone Video ChatVideo Chat
Also Read Answers From:

Comprehensive Medical Second Opinion.Submit your Case

Related Questions & Answers

Is HPV type 73 virus transmitted only by sexual intercourse?

Query: Hello doctor, I want to know how the virus HPV type 73 is transmitted? I have heard that it can only be transmitted from sexual course but I want to be sure. My fiancee also has the virus.  Read Full »

Pap smear shows presence of endocervical and squamous cells. What does it mean?

Query: Hello doctor, I got a Pap done last week and I got the results back today. It says I am negative for an intraepithelial lesion of malignancy (NIL). And under specimen adequacy, it says satisfactory for evaluation. Endocervical and/or squamous cells (endocervical component) are present. What does th...  Read Full »

Can HPV in sexually active individual cause throat cancer?

Query: Hello doctor, I do not show any signs or symptoms. Instead, I just want accurate information on the subject of HPV in a sexually active individual. I would like to know its role in throat cancer. Yes, I know it can cause it, but I would like to know more regarding numbers. Is it rare? What percent...  Read Full »

Also Read

This article provides you with all the information that you should be knowing about miscarriage. Although this is an emo...  Read more»
COVID-19 Testing
COVID-19 testing includes analyzing patient samples to determine current or past infections with SARS-CoV-2. Read the ar...  Read more»
I feel a restlessness in my legs, which decreases my sleep quality. How to get a refreshing sleep?
Hello doctor, I cannot get refreshing sleep some days in a week, and some days it is good. I also have difficulty sleep...  Read more»

Ask your health query to a doctor online?

Ask an Obstetrician & Gynaecologist Now

* guaranteed answer within 4 hours.

Disclaimer: All health Q&As published on this website is not intended to be a substitute for professional medical diagnosis, advice or treatment by a trained physician. Seek the advice from your physician or other qualified health-care providers with questions you may have regarding your symptoms and medical condition for a complete medical diagnosis. Do not delay or disregard seeking professional medical advice because of something you have read on this website.