Q. Does high-grade squamous intraepithelial lesion in the cervix go away on its own?

Dr. Priyadarshini Tripathy
This is a premium question & answer published on Sep 14, 2020 and last reviewed on: Mar 06, 2021

Does a high-grade squamous intraepithelial lesion in the cervix go away on its own? Two years back, during pregnancy, atypical cells were noticed. I had a sleep procedure the previous year, and the biopsy came back with high-grade squamous intraepithelial lesions. A week later, it started spreading in the margin. They never brought it up at that appointment, and I do not think they even checked.

#

Based on the studies of cervical infections with oncogenic HPV (human papillomavirus) types, it has been seen that, though some HSIL (high-grade squamous intraepithelial lesions) regress, the risk of invasive cervical cancer could not be ignored. For the adequate treatment of CIN2 (cervical intraepithelial neoplasia) or CIN3, the entire lesion and transformation zone (TZ) must be destroyed or excised. Ablative or excisional treatments can achieve this. Ablative methods such as CO2 (carbon dioxide) laser ablation are effective but infrequently used in modern practice. Excisional methods such as a large loop excision of the transformation zone (LLETZ), loop electrosurgical excision procedure (LEEP) or cold-knife cone biopsy are preferred. So, it is important to have a quick check with any colposcopist.

|