Q. Is stammering a genetic problem?

Dr. Prathap
This is a premium question & answer published on Jan 31, 2017 and last reviewed on: Oct 09, 2018

I am in love with a girl, and we got permission from both the family for our marriage. But, my parents are in some hesitation as my girlfriend's mother is stammering. My parents think that if we both get marriage and our child also could get this stammering problem. I want to know whether stammering is a genetic problem. If we both get married, then is it possible that our child gets this issue? What is the percentage? In my girlfriend's family, only her mother is stammering. Please help and give the answer in detail. Thank you.

Dr. Prathap

#

• Stammering has got a multiple etiology and pathogenesis. A hereditary component in this has been extensively studied. A recent study was done including 12 children, and 5 generations of the family were investigated.
  • The hereditary component is not the only thing that is important. There are other factors related to environmental like the way children are brought up, the circumstances the child faces, etc., which will decide this.
  • Chances of the heriditary component are variable accordingly to different studies. It differs with the genetic component of mother and father if both are having this chances of around 25% according to some studies.
  • If only one parent is having, then chances are still less. Also, the mode of inheritance is also not clearly identified. There is a significant limitation in the available literature on these studies.
  • My final opinion is the chances are less if the child is brought up in a healthy environment and family with a proper speech there from childhood. It should never be a cause to stop marrying I suppose.

For further information consult an family physician online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/family-physician

|