Q. Is stammering a genetic problem?

Answered by
Dr. Prathap
and medically reviewed by iCliniq medical review team.
Published on Jan 31, 2017 and last reviewed on: Oct 09, 2018

Hello doctor,

I am in love with a girl, and we got permission from both the family for our marriage. But, my parents are in some hesitation as my girlfriend's mother is stammering. My parents think that if we both get marriage and our child also could get this stammering problem. I want to know whether stammering is a genetic problem. If we both get married, then is it possible that our child gets this issue? What is the percentage? In my girlfriend's family, only her mother is stammering. Please help and give the answer in detail. Thank you.

Dr. Prathap

General Medicine Internal Medicine


Welcome to icliniq.com.

  • Stammering has got a multiple etiology and pathogenesis. A hereditary component in this has been extensively studied. A recent study was done including 12 children, and 5 generations of the family were investigated.
  • The hereditary component is not the only thing that is important. There are other factors related to environmental like the way children are brought up, the circumstances the child faces, etc., which will decide this.
  • Chances of the heriditary component are variable accordingly to different studies. It differs with the genetic component of mother and father if both are having this chances of around 25% according to some studies.
  • If only one parent is having, then chances are still less. Also, the mode of inheritance is also not clearly identified. There is a significant limitation in the available literature on these studies.
  • My final opinion is the chances are less if the child is brought up in a healthy environment and family with a proper speech there from childhood. It should never be a cause to stop marrying I suppose.

For further information consult an family physician online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/family-physician

Was this answer helpful?


Also Read Answers From:

Comprehensive Medical Second Opinion.Submit your Case

Related Questions & Answers

How to increase head size?

Query: Hello doctor, I am an 18 year old girl, and I am 5.7 feet tall. My head circumference is 53 cm and only 6 inches long. As you probably understand from those facts that my head is extremely small. Compared to my body my head looks tiny. It also looks small when compared to other girls who are my age...  Read Full »

Please advice whether being very emotional is related to psychiatric behavior.

Query: Hi doctor,I am a female, 29 years old, Height 5'6", weight around 54 kg. I am not undergoing any treatment but want to know that whether being very emotional is related to psychiatric behavior or is it hereditary in anyway as my mother was not a totally mad person but required to undergo some treatm...  Read Full »



Ask your health query to a doctor online?

Ask a Family Physician Now

* guaranteed answer within 4 hours.
Enter Your Health Query
You can upload files and images in the next step.



Disclaimer: All health Q&As published on this website is not intended to be a substitute for professional medical diagnosis, advice or treatment by a trained physician. Seek the advice from your physician or other qualified health-care providers with questions you may have regarding your symptoms and medical condition for a complete medical diagnosis. Do not delay or disregard seeking professional medical advice because of something you have read on this website.