Q. I have a rash on my foot since a year. What is that?

Dr. Salah Saad Shoman
This is a premium question & answer published on Dec 20, 2016 and last reviewed on: Jan 28, 2021

I have a weird rash on my foot. That has been persistently itchy, peeling and building. It does not burn, but it is unappetizing to look at. I do take Lyderm for it. It seems to stop the itching, but not the spreading of the rash. It has been on my leg for a year now. Please help.

#

This is most probably stasis dermatitis (attachment removed to protect patient identity), which occurs in people with poor circulation and in serious cases may develop into ulcers.

Stasis dermatitis is common in people above 50, especially if have heart diseases or overweight or sit for prolonged periods of time. The symptoms include skin discoloration, itching, scaling and ulcers.

• You should avoid standing and sitting for long periods of time, prop your feet up when sitting and wear compression socks.
  • I suggest you apply Lanolin, Calamine, topical antibiotic ointment as Neomycin, Benzocaine and other numbing medications.
  • You can put wet bandages on your skin and you may need topical steroid cream. Consult your specialist doctor, discuss with him or her and take the treatment with consent.

For further information consult an internal medicine physician online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/internal-medicine-physician

|