Q. Am I at risk of STD if condom slips halfway?

Published on Oct 13, 2018

I had protected sex with someone whose status I do not know. I am kind of worried now. I did not ejaculate and the condom slipped half way during the session and pulled that back. Is that a matter of concern? Shall I go for any test?

General Medicine Internal Medicine Rheumatology
#

I went through your post. Slipping of the condom makes it an unprotected sexual intercourse and there is a small 1 % risk of getting STD although non-ejaculation makes it a lesser risk. You can test after two weeks for syphils and HIV by doing FTA-ABS (fluorescent treponemal antibody absorption) and CMIA for HIV after two weeks to be on the safer side. However, as the risk is very minute, there is no need to worry.

Do I need to wait for just two weeks? Or shall I wait for four weeks and go for an HIV duo test?

#

CMIA is a fourth generation test for HIV and can detect HIV in 95 to 97 % of cases of infected people after two weeks of exposure. So, it can be done after two weeks, so there is no need to wait for four weeks.

What would happen if sweat or water dropped into the blood used for HIV testing?

Query: Hi doctor, I took OraQuick Advance Rapid HIV 1/2 antibody test today at a nearby clinic after waiting the window period for exposure of more than 90 days. I was told that the result was negative. My concern may be very paranoid and unnecessary; however, I am more curious than anything. I wanted to ...  Read Full >>

Dr. Sushma Shah
HIV AIDS Specialist

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. You are not paranoid, but genius. Yes, anything in the blood may change the results, and that is why we advise sterile things. But, test results if positive never shows negative. HIV virus persists till it is in any wet medium. If blood dried, then no HIV virus persist....  Read Full

What are the chances of STD from my encounter, especially HIV?

Query: Hello doctor,I was recently in a sexual encounter with a sex worker. It was a condom-protected sex. The condom did not slip or break. But, I inserted my finger into the girl's vagina for two minutes. Is there any chance of catching an STD from the whole thing (the intercourse and the insertion of t...  Read Full >>

Dr. Ravinder Kaur Sachdeva
HIV AIDS Specialist

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. Your risk of acquisition of HIV (human immunodeficiency virus) in both the instances is unlikely. You can easily relax. Although, I advise all my patients who are sexually active to know their baseline HIV status. There is no harm in that. Hope your query is answered,...  Read Full