Q. The hospital used a round-shaped HIV kit for the CIMA method. What kit was that?

and medically reviewed by Dr. Preetha J
This is a premium question & answer published on Oct 24, 2020 and last reviewed on: Nov 02, 2020

I am 38 years old. I got exposed seven months back and checked after 94 days for the Immunochromatic method, and the result is non-reactive for HIV 1 and 2. Later after six months and 25 days, when I went to COVID-19 treatment, they check again for HIV. In the reports, it was non-reactive using the CIMA method. And given the reports along with a round-shaped kit for HIV test. My doubt is what is that round-shaped kit in which one side was HIV-1, and on another side, it was HIV 2. I searched for the CIMA method on the internet, whether a round-shaped HIV kit was used in the CIMA method. Are the hospital staff hiding something from me? Is it hazardous for any nurse or doctor if reports are wrong?

#

Following is my opinion on your asked question.

Your HIV testing was done with a rapid immunochromatographic test and not with CMIA (chemiluminescence micropartical immunoassay). The rapid test is also conclusive in ruling out HIV (human immunodeficiency virus). You had done testing after six months of exposure. Any test can rule out HIV after three months of exposure. So now no need to repeat testing for HIV. A round-shaped HIV test kit is used in rapid testing mainly in, which one window is of control, and the other is for HIV. HIV 1 and 2 are subtypes of HIV. So the testing kit, including both the HIV antigen, is incorporated to rule out HIV 1 and 2. So it is good that your testing kit rules out both HIV 1 and 2. It does not seem any false reporting. So now, do not worry and forgot about it.

I hope I have answered your asked question.

Let me know if I can assist you further.

Best regards.

Thank you for your reply.

Is the CMIA testing method consists of round shaped HIV kit? Can you explain it because I have seen it on the internet as a tridot HIV kit, but in reports, they say the CIMA method; which one is true? I am getting confused.

#

CMIA is a chemiluminescence microparticle immunoassay test which does not include tridot like card test. CMIA is done in a specialized instrument in which OD (optical density) value is also calculated. Tridot HIV test is a rapid immunoassay enzyme card test. So tridot is one of the rapid card tests. In your attached reports mentioned test is of rapid ICT test, which is a rapid card test. Now, after six months of exposure, you do not need to worry about HIV. The rapid card is also useful in rule out HIV. So finally, CMIA is not a card test, and tridot is a rapid card test. Both are equally effective in ruling out HIV after three months of exposure. I hope I have answered your question. Let me know if I can assist you further.

Best regards.

|