Q. There are red dots in my penis. Could it be an allergy?

This is a premium question & answer published on Jul 16, 2017 and last reviewed on: Oct 09, 2018

I am a 23 year old non-diabetic male. I suddenly felt a burning sensation on the tip of my penis a few days back. I thought it was a general burning sensation, due to lack of drinking water. I do accept that I am a little unhygienic. After a day or two, the burning sensation increased. When I checked properly, there was a small white dot, like a skin peeling. Now dots have grown red, and the number of the red dots have increased to four or five. It does not trouble me much when I am on the move, but whenever I go to the washroom, it burns a lot the entire time I urinate and post-urination, the burn subsides in 15 to 20 seconds. I was having a fever as well for these past two days and within these past two days, the number of dots has increased. Is this an allergy or balanitis or something else? I have attached pictures. Kindly suggest what to do.

#

I have read your query and examined your picture (attachment removed to protect patient identity).

From your description, it seems you have chancroid or herpes genitalis. Chancroid is a bacterial sexually transmitted disease (STD) caused by Haemophilus ducreyi, whereas herpes is a viral infection.

On checking the Gram stain of the ulcer exudates, short, plump, gram-negative rods in the classic school of fish appearance, if revealed indicates a chancroid. Get your HSV (herpes simplex virus), IgG and IgM (herpes simplex virus immunoglobulin G and M) level tested to confirm herpes.

Treatment for chancroid includes tablet Azithromycin 1 g orally as a single dose or Injection Ceftriaxone 250 mg intramuscularly as a single dose given by a dermatologist. Treatment for herpes includes tablet Acyclovir 400 mg thrice daily for five days.

Try to follow the ABC of sex to prevent STDs. Abstain from sex till marriage. Be faithful to your partner. Condom use, correctly and consistently.

For more information consult a dermatologist online --> https://icliniq.com./ask-a-doctor-online/dermatologist

Do I need to undergo any treatment apart from the medication you have prescribed? And can you please tell me how long it will take for me to be completely alright?

#

• Please do check for chancroid and herpes, before we can decide on a treatment.
  • It is more likely to be a chancroid, in which case your lesions will completely subside in a week.

|