Get E-Book on COVID-19

Q. There are red dots in my penis. Could it be an allergy?

Answered by
Dr. Suvash Sahu
and medically reviewed by iCliniq medical review team.
This is a premium question & answer published on Jul 16, 2017 and last reviewed on: Oct 09, 2018

Hi doctor,

I am a 23 year old non-diabetic male. I suddenly felt a burning sensation on the tip of my penis a few days back. I thought it was a general burning sensation, due to lack of drinking water. I do accept that I am a little unhygienic. After a day or two, the burning sensation increased. When I checked properly, there was a small white dot, like a skin peeling. Now dots have grown red, and the number of the red dots have increased to four or five. It does not trouble me much when I am on the move, but whenever I go to the washroom, it burns a lot the entire time I urinate and post-urination, the burn subsides in 15 to 20 seconds. I was having a fever as well for these past two days and within these past two days, the number of dots has increased. Is this an allergy or balanitis or something else? I have attached pictures. Kindly suggest what to do.

Dr. Suvash Sahu

Cosmetology Dermatology Venereology


Welcome to

I have read your query and examined your picture (attachment removed to protect patient identity).

From your description, it seems you have chancroid or herpes genitalis. Chancroid is a bacterial sexually transmitted disease (STD) caused by Haemophilus ducreyi, whereas herpes is a viral infection.

On checking the Gram stain of the ulcer exudates, short, plump, gram-negative rods in the classic school of fish appearance, if revealed indicates a chancroid. Get your HSV (herpes simplex virus), IgG and IgM (herpes simplex virus immunoglobulin G and M) level tested to confirm herpes.

Treatment for chancroid includes tablet Azithromycin 1 g orally as a single dose or Injection Ceftriaxone 250 mg intramuscularly as a single dose given by a dermatologist. Treatment for herpes includes tablet Acyclovir 400 mg thrice daily for five days.

Try to follow the ABC of sex to prevent STDs. Abstain from sex till marriage. Be faithful to your partner. Condom use, correctly and consistently.

For more information consult a dermatologist online -->

Was this answer helpful?


Thank you doctor,

Do I need to undergo any treatment apart from the medication you have prescribed? And can you please tell me how long it will take for me to be completely alright?

Dr. Suvash Sahu

Cosmetology Dermatology Venereology


Welcome back to

  • Please do check for chancroid and herpes, before we can decide on a treatment.
  • It is more likely to be a chancroid, in which case your lesions will completely subside in a week.

For more information consult a dermatologist online -->

Was this answer helpful?


Related Questions:
I have no STD symptoms. Should I still get tested before I meet my wife?
Post herpes attack, I am suffering from Bells's palsy. Please advise.
Can herpes cause feet neuropathy?
Consult by PhoneConsult by Phone Video ChatVideo Chat
Also Read Answers From:

Comprehensive Medical Second Opinion.Submit your Case

Related Questions & Answers

Does rashes on penis mean sexually transmitted disease?

Query: Hello doctor, For the past two months, I have been experiencing a minor rash on the crown of my penis. I have have been using antibacterial cream since then but it does not seem to recover. The rash occurred a month after I had an unprotected sex. No itch, no discharge, no pain while urinating or a...  Read Full »

Is it possible to have UTI because of sexually transmitted disease?

Query: Hi doctor, I have a question regarding my urine. I feel I might have urinary tract infection, as I feel slight burning while passing the urine, and once the urine is done for a few seconds. Also, sometimes my urine is cloudy, or milky type at the beginning of the urine. Leukocyte esterase came posi...  Read Full »

Can you get STD if your partner has never had sex before?

Query: Hello doctor, My question is that if one has sex with a partner who has never had sex before, not using a condom, can he or she still get HIV/HPV or any STDS.  Read Full »

Also Read

This article provides you with all the information that you should be knowing about miscarriage. Although this is an emo...  Read more»
COVID-19 Testing
COVID-19 testing includes analyzing patient samples to determine current or past infections with SARS-CoV-2. Read the ar...  Read more»
I feel a restlessness in my legs, which decreases my sleep quality. How to get a refreshing sleep?
Hello doctor, I cannot get refreshing sleep some days in a week, and some days it is good. I also have difficulty sleep...  Read more»

Ask your health query to a doctor online?

Ask a Dermatologist Now

* guaranteed answer within 4 hours.

Disclaimer: All health Q&As published on this website is not intended to be a substitute for professional medical diagnosis, advice or treatment by a trained physician. Seek the advice from your physician or other qualified health-care providers with questions you may have regarding your symptoms and medical condition for a complete medical diagnosis. Do not delay or disregard seeking professional medical advice because of something you have read on this website.