Q. I am suffering from stomach pain and vomiting after having outside food. What can I do now?

Dr. Muhammad M. Hanif Md.
Published on Jul 04, 2019 and last reviewed on: Jul 05, 2019

I started having stomach pain after some time of consuming a particular company's product. I slept somehow, but after two hours, I woke up and puked. I am having stomach pain just below where the upper and lower ribs meet at the center in the upper belly. I had Avil (anti-allergy) 0.25 mg tablet. What else can I do?

Dr. Muhammad M. Hanif Md.

Cardiology Critical Care Physician General Medicine Internal Medicine
#

I can understand you are worried about your health. I know you got digestive system problems based on the possible food poisoning after you ate what looks like a contaminated food from a local food chain. It is a widespread issue, and many people whole eat from outside get food poisoning if the food was contaminated.

You are taking the very best step of hydrating yourself. I would advise taking plenty of fluids (as you are already taking) plus ORS (oral rehydration solution) or Pedialyte to rehydrate yourself. Keep an eye on the symptoms, and if they are severe enough, you should rush to a healthcare provider or a hospital. The time you need to seek medical attention would include any one or many of the following five severe symptoms,

1. High fevers (over 102 degrees of Fahrenheit, when measured with an oral thermometer).

2. Blood starts coming in stools.

3. You take fluids, and they cannot go down the stomach due to severe and frequent vomiting. No liquid is staying inside the gastrointestinal tract, and you may get dehydrated in that way.

4. Symptoms of dehydration that you can feel by yourself, e.g., dizziness on standing up, decreased urine volume and dark colored urine, very dry mouth and throat, and no sweating.

5. Diarrhea lasting more than 72 hours from the time of its onset after the food poisoning.

You got this stomach cramps (pain) in a timeframe of 30 minutes to an hour after eating the food. This refers to the possibility of food poisoning caused by a germ named Staphylococcus aureus (commonly abbreviated as staph). And this type of bacteria affects the foods not cooked adequately after handling. These foods can include but not limited to sliced meats, puddings, sandwiches, pastries. I hope it helps. Please feel free to ask more if you need further assistance.

| 

I had three episodes of acute diarrhea. Is it food poisoning?

Query: Hello doctor, I am 46 year old female. Starting yesterday morning, I had three episodes of acute diarrhea, vomited once as well. Those symptoms stopped but I still have a low-grade fever of 97.7 and severe muscle cramps in my legs, chest, and abdomen. I took one Ondansetron 4 mg for nausea yesterda...  Read Full »

I have semisolid motion even four months after food poisoning. When will I get normal?

Query: Hello doctor, Four months back, I had food poison and was under antibiotic. After that, there was continuous semisolid motion, loss of appetite, gastric trouble, and loss of weight. Doctors have taken several tests and it came normal. I do not know what happened to me. Then one of my friends told m...  Read Full »

I have stomach pain when I pass stools. Please suggest a medicine.

Query: Hello doctor,I have been suffering from a disease of the stomach for six months now. I feel a pain in my stomach when I pass stools. My stool is like mud or liquid, but not like water. I have consulted many doctors but I do not have relief yet. Please tell me what I should do. I am very worried.  Read Full »