Q. I have some weird feelings on the opposite side of the ileostomy. Can IBD be the cause?

Dr. Mian Shah Yousaf
This is a premium question & answer published on Aug 11, 2020 and last reviewed on: Sep 03, 2020

Male / 29 / 140lbs / 5'6" About a year ago I went in for a pain in my side which turned out to be an abscess and internal infection. They ended up doing an illestomy (which I still have). Anyway, my concern is that I've recently been having some weird feelings in my left side (the opposite side of the illestomy) which comes and goes. It's not a serious pain but something doesn't feel right. I've also been having a general feeling of uneasiness, not sure exactly how to describe it, but a weird ache throughout my whole body that comes and goes. I had a blood test a couple months ago that showed high WBC. I should also mention that about 9 years ago I had an ulcer that ruptured (and I went into emergency surgery for). I was diagnosed with IBD/Crohns. Anyway, I've contacted the office of my GI doctor, but he will not be able to see me until next week. Should I go to the ER, explain my symptoms and see if they will do a CT scan? Is it safe to go to the ER right now, with a mask? Is there another way I can speak to a doctor who can get me in to do a CT scan or colonoscopy and see what's going on, while avoiding the ER? Thank you.

#

Dear. Welcome to icliniq.

A patient with suspected Crohn disease can have some discomfort like that due a stricture or narrowing or Inflammation in the bowel.

If you dont have any fever? Disturbance in Ileostomy out put or any bleeding or distension in it then it is not an emergency to go into ER. You can wait to meet your GI doctor but if this pain or discomfort increases then obviously you have to visit ER and yes it is safe to go with proper precautions such as mask and gloves.

Meanwhile if possible kindly do these tests which will help out in urgency of this issue.

1. CBC 2. CRP

Kindly feel free to ask if you have any query. Thank You.

| 

Related Video

Can chemotherapy cause emboli formation?

Query: Hi doctor, The patient has stage 3 rectal cancer. He had brachytherapy radiation last summer. Through surgery, they removed the rectum, surrounding mesorectal fat and involved lymph nodes. Pathology declared radiation to be a complete response and no cancer found. FOLFOX chemo has begun before 14 mo...  Read Full »

Can masturbation cause stomach pain and cramps?

Query: Hello doctor, I am a 26-year-old boy. I am suffering from stomach pain, cramps, and gastric problem. Before six years when I eat some food I got still more inflammation, pain, and cramps. The first year when I reported in the hospital I came to know that I have gastric ulcer, so I took the medicat...  Read Full »

I am a crohn's disease patient. Can I take ayurvedic medicines?

Query: Hi, I am a crohn's disease patient and now my ESR level is 70 and CRP positive. I am taking pentasa 1g twice (morning and evening) and also 150mg of azoran (immunity suppressant tablet) in the morning alone. Today I visited an ayurvedic doctor to start ayurvedic treatment and he gave me medicine ind...  Read Full »

Does CD marker help in identification of blood cancer?
Hi doctor, I am a 25-year-old male suffering from joint pain and pain in the knees. I also have nausea, vomiting, gynec...  Read more»
I suddenly got fainted and woked up with bruising in eyes. Why?
Hi doctor,I am 28 years old with normal weight and following a vegetarian diet. Last month, I fainted at home and my fri...  Read more»