Q. I have some weird feelings on the opposite side of the ileostomy. Can IBD be the cause?

Answered by
Dr. Mian Shah Yousaf
and medically reviewed by Dr. Sneha Kannan
This is a premium question & answer published on Aug 11, 2020 and last reviewed on: Jul 06, 2021

Hi doctor,

I am a 29-year-old male with a weight of 63 kilograms and a height of five feet six inches. I went for a pain in my side. It turned out to be an abscess and internal infection. They ended up doing an ileostomy. Recently I started to have some weird feeling in my left side on and off on the opposite side of ileostomy. It is not a serious pain but it does not feel right. I have a general feeling of uneasiness and I am unable to describe it exactly. But I have a weird ache throughout my body on and off. I had a blood test two months back and it showed high WBC. Nine years back, I had an ulcer that got ruptured. Then I was diagnosed with IBD or Crohn's disease. I contacted the office of the GI doctor. But he is not available to see me until next week. Should I need to go to ER now? Do I need a CT scan? Is it safe to go to ER now with a mask? Is there a way to speak to a doctor who can get me to do a CT scan or colonoscopy to see what is going on by avoiding ER?



Welcome to

A patient with suspected Crohn's disease can have some discomfort due to a stricture or narrowing or inflammation in the bowel. If you do not have a fever, then disturbance in ileostomy can cause bleeding or distension in it. Otherwise, it is not an emergency condition to go to the emergency. You can wait to meet a gastroenterologist. But if your pain or discomfort gets increased, then you need to visit an emergency immediately. It is safe to go with proper precautions with a mask and gloves. In the meanwhile, kindly do these tests which will help out in the urgency of this issue. Kindly do CBC (complete blood count) and CRP (C-reactive protein). Kindly feel free to ask if you have any queries. Thank you.

Was this answer helpful?


Same symptoms doesn’t mean you have the same problem. Consult a doctor now!

Related Questions:
Please tell me about the risk in recurrent stoma closure operation.

.. started and went on as per the standard guidelines. Your complications arose because of the stricture (narrowing) at the site of joining your intestine after removing cancer. (There can be many reasons for that, follow up if you are interested). D...   Read full

Will Humira taken for Crohn's disease interacts with HIV results?

The rashes you have developed are more likely to be a part of Crohn's disease syndrome progression ... I believe the new rashes are a part of Crohn's disease syndrome complex ...   Read full

I have stomach pain below the breast on the left side. Please help.

.. suffering from constipation. Because of it, you have stomach pain below the breast on the left side with difficulty in depositing waste. When there is constipation, the waste does not get clear entirely from the bowel. This results in bowel enlarg...   Read full

Also Read Answers From:

ideaComprehensive Medical Second Opinion.Submit your Case

Also Read

Managing Diabetes During Festive Season
All the festivals are indirectly a danger sign for diabetic patients. Read this article to know more about how to handle...  Read more»
What You Should Eat and Drink for A Healthy Life!!
Food is essential for our survival, and what we eat definitely impacts our health. We can easily reduce the risk of many...  Read more»
What Is ADHD and How Is It Managed?
This article discusses ADHD, whether it is a real condition, features of ADHD, how to recognize and manage this common c...  Read more»

Ask your health query to a doctor online?

Ask a Medical Gastroenterologist Now

* guaranteed answer within 4 hours.

Disclaimer: No content published on this website is intended to be a substitute for professional medical diagnosis, advice or treatment by a trained physician. Seek advice from your physician or other qualified healthcare providers with questions you may have regarding your symptoms and medical condition for a complete medical diagnosis. Do not delay or disregard seeking professional medical advice because of something you have read on this website. Read our Editorial Process to know how we create content for health articles and queries.