Q. Can stress and anxiety cause joint problems?

Dr. Mashfika N Alam
Published on Jan 04, 2018 and last reviewed on: May 27, 2019

I am a 27-year-old male with no history of joint issues. Can stress and anxiety cause joints to pop? I was okay last month but this month it has been really stressful for me and I know my hands feel stiff and all my joints pop. When I raise my arms, one can hear the tendons stretching like rubber bands. When I rotate my legs, my hips pop. They make pretty loud pop with no pain at all. My elbows sometimes pop, not often. I have no disease that I know of. Can this be caused by stress and depression? Please help.

Dr. Mashfika N Alam

Family Physician General Practitioner
#

Random clicking and popping joints is a common occurrence and as long as there is no associated pain or swelling, there is nothing to worry about at a young age such as yours.

Excessive stress and anxiety can make your muscles taut.

This can happen during periods of depression too.

When you move any synovial joint around, the taut muscles around these joints cause the popping and cracking.

You can try gentle stretching exercises every morning.

This will help relax your muscles and subsequently relax your joints.

For more information consult a family physician online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/family-physician

Why am I often getting mouth sores?

Query: Hi doctor, I am getting sores in my mouth when I eat anything. Also, I get the feeling in my mouth as if I am eating something sour and it is annoying. I get it around the same time every year for a couple of occasions. It usually starts around my exams. I am a 15 year old female. My height is 158 c...  Read Full >>

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. Sores occur due to deficiency of vitamin B and also due to excessive stress. You should try to avoid stress using relaxation techniques like deep breathing, meditation, etc. I suggest vitamin B complex supplement like capsule Zevit once a day for a week. It should res...  Read Full

Can stress inhibit brain development in children?

Query: Hi doctor, I read that great stress will cause brain development inhibition in children. Can this be caught up through something? Is this permanent?  Read Full >>

Dr. Shubham Mehta

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. Great amount of stress in children does affect brain development. As the brain develops till the age of 18 years, stress can affect the development. Stress can, in general, affect the functioning of the body, hormonal balance, and immunity levels as well. If the str...  Read Full

My joint pain is affecting my academics. Please suggest a permanent cure.

Query: Hello doctor, I have been experiencing joint pains in my waist, back, and neck for a year now. Whenever I visit a hospital, I am prescribed NSAID, which gives me only a temporary relief. I want this problem to get solved permanently because it has started affecting my academics. I need your ...  Read Full >>

Rheumatologist

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. I went through your query. Your predominant complaint is pain along the axial skeleton. If it is associated with early morning stiffness of the back and if the pain increases with rest, then ankylosing spondylitis needs to be ruled out. If the above features are not pr...  Read Full

Ask a Family Physician Now