Q. How does lack of sleep contribute to stroke?

Dr. Hitesh Kumar
This is a premium question & answer published on Feb 23, 2020 and last reviewed on: Feb 25, 2020

I would like to know the causes of stroke and its prevention. What are some of the causes of stroke? What are some signs and symptoms? How can you prevent a stroke? Could a lack of sleep or stress cause a stroke? Please suggest.

#

There are major risk factors for stroke such as hypertension, diabetes mellitus, old age, smoking, alcohol, obesity, high cholesterol and family history of heart disease or stroke. Though there are many more rare causes of stroke. Common presentations are acute onset deviation of angle of the mouth, change in voice, weakness of hands, arms, legs, and imbalance in walking. Though many more presentations can be there in stroke depending on which area of the brain gets affected. Stroke can be prevented by maintaining a healthy lifestyle and healthy food, regular exercise, keeping blood pressure (BP) and sugar under control. Take regular medications as advised by a doctor.

Lack of sleep and stress can lead to increased BP, impaired blood sugars and increased sympathetic response in the body, which can be a risk factor for stroke. If stroke is suspected, rush the patient to the nearest hospital having CT (computed tomography) and MRI (magnetic resonance imaging) facility as soon as possible.

| 

Is stroke with bleeding serious or without bleeding?

Query: Hi doctor, I got a stroke but I do not know how to explain it. Twice I was bleeding along with the stroke. One type of bleeding was chronic and the other one was acute. I would like to know which type of bleeding is dangerous? And also explain the reason for the same.  Read Full »

Hypertension: Overcome the Highs

Article Overview: This article talks about hypertension, a condition in which the pressure exerted by the blood, on the walls of the arteries, is too high. Read Article

Blood pressure (BP) is the amount of pressure exerted by the flowing blood upon the walls of the arteries. The normal value is around 120/80 mmHg. Your blood pressure value is considered as hypertension when constantly there is a blood pressure of more than 140/90 mmHg. It is diagnosed by checking t...  Read Article

I am having sensation issues on face after stroke. Please advise.

Query: Hello doctor, Six months back, I had a bad sinus infection with a cough that caused a left internal carotid artery dissection. I had a stroke as well that left infarcts on my left parietal lobe and caused problems with my speech and I was not able to use my cellphone correctly. Thankfully I had no ...  Read Full »