Q. What are the ways to permanently treat recurrent stye?

Dr. Vaibhev Mittal
and medically reviewed by Dr. Dr. Divya Banu M
Published on Feb 25, 2019

I developed a stye around seven months ago in my right eye (lower lid). The stye took almost six months to get rid of, it is not fully gone and is still there. I used warm compresses but I thought this was quite a lengthy process. I have now developed a stye on my left eye (upper lid). The bump is swollen and formed a round ball. I have again tried warm compresses and it seems to be making it worse. I am now trying salt and warm water soaks. I have also been to the doctors and had blood tests, etc., and all came clear. I just need advice on what I need to do to get rid of this. I have been washing eyelashes daily.

Dr. Vaibhev Mittal

Ophthalmology (Eye Care)
#

The stye usually resolves in a week. If it is persisting even after treatment then it could be a chalazion. Kindly share photos of your eyes so that I may guide you better.

I have attached the file.

Dr. Vaibhev Mittal

Ophthalmology (Eye Care)
#

I evaluated your photos with patience (attachment removed to protect patient identity). These bumps on your lids are suggestive of chalazion. The treatment involves warm compresses followed by a lid massage with index finger from up to down for upper lid followed by application of antibiotic ointment like Azithromycin twice daily along lid margins. If this fails, then intralesional Triamcinolone injection can help. If everything fails then minor surgery in form of incision and curettage will resolve this.

Warm compresses I have already tried three times a day and it has not really worked. I have already been provided antibiotic ointment and used for five days which has not really helped. Would I need to get injection done privately as my NHS doctors have said there is nothing they can do?

Dr. Vaibhev Mittal

Ophthalmology (Eye Care)
#

Yes, you can consult a local ophthalmologist and discuss these options with him. Some doctors have their reservation about this Triamcinolone injection but the majority of them would agree for incision.

I have frequent and recurring stye problem.Please advise.

Query: Hello doctor, I have frequent and recurring stye problem. Please advise.  Read Full »

What treatment will help recurrent stye?

Query: Hi doctor, I am an 18 year old female. I am getting a stye in the corner of my left eye, right under the lower eyelid. It is recurrent for the past six months and itchy sometimes. What would you recommend to get rid of it?   Read Full »