Q. I get a swelling on the temple after chewing hard food. Please help.

Answered by
Dr. Muhammad M. Hanif Md.
and medically reviewed by iCliniq medical review team.
Published on May 11, 2017 and last reviewed on: Nov 15, 2019

Hi doctor,

I get a swelling on the temple after chewing on hard food, for example, steak or candy. The swelling goes down after I stop eating, but the area feels numb for a long time after that. What can cause this? I have chronic urticaria and MGUS. 

Dr. Muhammad M. Hanif Md.

Cardiology Critical Care Physician General Medicine Internal Medicine


Welcome to icliniq.com.

I have carefully reviewed your health query and will answer your concerns.

The issues you mentioned are related to mastication (chewing). It is a process where you have to put a lot of energy, and the muscles of mastication are widely used. It seems there is some neuropathy causing the muscles of mastication to get fatigued.

Other symptoms like swelling and numbness can be a feeling due to the same muscles spasms. Local edema (fluid accumulation) can also be a reason behind the swelling.

Regarding MGUS (monoclonal gammopathy of undetermined significance), I want to add that it can lead to multiple myeloma, so keep an eye on your health. Keep a timely follow-up with your treating physician.

I suggest you try using anti-inflammatory medications like Acetaminophen, which can help you. Consult your specialist doctor, discuss with him or her and start using the medicine after there consent.

Also, ask your physician to take care of urticaria, as this can be an additive factor. You have chronic urticaria, and that may also contribute to local swelling of tissues.

Hope it helps. Please let me know if I can be of further help to you.

For further queries consult an internal medicine physician online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/internal-medicine-physician

Was this answer helpful?


Also Read Answers From:

Comprehensive Medical Second Opinion.Submit your Case

Related Questions & Answers

My wife has urticaria. Please help.

Query: Hello doctor, My wife has been getting a rash which the doctor has termed as urticaria. What could have caused this? I feel she could be having a yeast intolerance. Please help.  Read Full »

Is this a tooth abscess or root canal?

Query: Hello doctor,Is this a tooth abscess or root canal may be?  Read Full »

What can be the reason for my jaw pain?

Query: Hi doctor, I have jaw pain while clenching my jaw together and opening my mouth wide. It has pained only on the left side where my two jaw bones meet in the back of the mouth or jaw. I took Advil and the pain has reduced. May I know the reason for this? Please explain.  Read Full »



Ask your health query to a doctor online?

Ask an Internal Medicine Physician Now

* guaranteed answer within 4 hours.
Enter Your Health Query
You can upload files and images in the next step.



Disclaimer: All health Q&As published on this website is not intended to be a substitute for professional medical diagnosis, advice or treatment by a trained physician. Seek the advice from your physician or other qualified health-care providers with questions you may have regarding your symptoms and medical condition for a complete medical diagnosis. Do not delay or disregard seeking professional medical advice because of something you have read on this website.