Q. What causes swollen ankles in lower feet with stretchy and tight skin?

Dr. Rajesh Gulati

My mom has swollen ankles in her lower feet. The skin is stretchy and tight. When you touch it, it is warm. Does she have edema?

#

Yes, she has a sort of edema. It is fluid retention in the ankles. Take less of salts and a low sodium diet. Please get all the investigations done like heart echo and blood tests, kidney tests. You may take a course of antibiotics and anti-inflammatory as well as it may be infectious too but it certainly is due to some circulation disturbance in the body. Also, you may get her feet elevated when she lies on the bed and do not allow her feet in the upright postion for a longer period of time. Get her thyroid, BP and fasting blood sugar also checked.

|