Q. My brother has swollen testicles with slight pain. Please help.

Dr. Samer S J Altawil
This is a premium question & answer published on Jul 07, 2020 and last reviewed on: Jul 29, 2020

My brother's private part is swollen. His right testicle is swollen and a slight pain. Please help.

#

Swelling in the right testis especially if it is painful indicates infection which might be sexually transmitted or might be torsion (twist of testis leads to reduce blood supply) other causes of swelling can be hydrocele, varicocele, hernia or tumor. Examination and ultrasound are diagnostic.

Is your brother sexually active? Does he have discharge from the urethra (penis)? Did the pain start suddenly or over days hours? Does he have any urinary problems before?

Investigations will include ultrasound scrotum, urethral swab for gonococcal and chlamydia infections, and blood tests for hepatitis B and C, syphilis, HIV. After investigations and answering questions then will decide on management. Revert back to me once labs done. At the moment you can start on tablet Augmentin (Amoxicillin and Clavulanic acid) 625 mg thrice daily and Ibuprofen 400 mg twice Omeprazole 20 mg once at night.

No sexual activity since his wife just gave birth to their daughter. He just felt a slight pain and swollen last week. He kept on carrying heavy loads from the first floor to the second floor and carrying two big gallons of water at the same time. What medicine to take and for how many days? We do not want to get out due to high risks of COVID 19 cases.

#

You can take tablet Augmentin 625 mg trice daily and Brufen 400 mg twice, and Omeprazole 20 mg once at night for 10 days.

|