Q. My right testicle has swollen to the size of a tennis ball. What should I do?

Dr. Samer S J Altawil
This is a premium question & answer published on Aug 05, 2020 and last reviewed on: Apr 29, 2021

I am a 55-year-old male with a weight of 185 kilograms and a height of six feet. Last night, my right testicle got swollen to a size of a tennis ball. I have soreness while touching. What to do?

#

Painful swelling in the scrotum is caused due to epididymal-orchitis. There is inflammation of the testis and epididymis. It causes pain and swelling. It is caused due to sexually transmitted infections or urinary obstructions like enlargement of the prostate or stricture in the urethra and testicular torsion. You need to do an ultrasound of the scrotum to rule out the cause. If your condition is diagnosed with epididymal-orchitis by seeing the ultrasound, then you have to treat it by taking antibiotics. After doing a urine culture test, you can start taking Ciprofloxacin 500 mg twice daily for 14 days and Metronidazole 400 mg thrice daily for a week. For pain, you can take Diclofenac sodium 50 mg twice daily and Omeprazole 20 mg once at night. Have a follow-up after completing a course of antibiotics.

|