Q. Will epididymitis result in infertility?

Dr. Vivekanandan. G
This is a premium question & answer published on May 13, 2016 and last reviewed on: Oct 09, 2018

Last week, I was forced to go to the ER due to intense pain and swelling of the left testicle. I was then made to urinate in a cup and ultrasound of the testes. After the ultrasound it was concluded that I did not need surgery which is a relief, and I am thankful for this. I then had an appointment to see a urologist. Soon after however, I noticed that my testes were smaller than usual. When I saw the urologist I told him what happened and he conducted a prostate exam. Based on the pain I was experiencing due to the prostate exam, he diagnosed me with prostatitis. He prescribed me a course of antibiotics (Tarivid). He told me that these things are common in sexually active young men. However, I have not been sexually active since last five months. I have now come to the conclusion that I have STD (most likely chlamydia) from my last encounter as it was high risk. I received unprotected oral sex from a sex worker. I presented no symptoms and so I did not go see a doctor earlier. However, it was now mentioned by the doctors as orchitis or epididymitis. I think the former is what I experienced. My question is will the size of the testes recover if testosterone function is impaired? Is there any risk of infertility? I have a follow up appointment with my urologist next week. Is it advisable to get tested for STDs? I would also appreciate any insight what happened to me or other possible causes. I would like your opinion on the most likely cause, and anything I should tell my urologist.

#

• From what you have described, I think you had left epididymo-orchitis (inflammation of epidermis or testes).
  • You should get a urine culture done. About 50 % of the time, the affected testis goes for atrophy, in spite of antibiotic treatment.
  • But, hormone deficiency due to this problem is extremely rare. So, do not worry.
  • I would suggest you to repeat the ultrasound and semen analysis after three weeks. That would tell, whether the affected testis has atrophied and your fertility potential is normal. Continue with the antibiotics for at least two weeks.

Revert back after the tests to a urologist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/urologist

|