Q. I took antibiotics for testicle pain. It has recurred after I finished the course. Please guide me.

Dr. Praveen Pushkar

I am a 54 year old man, 5 feet and 8 inches, weighing 146 pounds. About six weeks ago, I started having intermittent pains and discomfort in my right testicle. Sometimes it was a dull ache, sometimes a sharper, stabbing pain. It seemed to radiate from a spermatocele cyst, which I have had for thirty years. After a physical exam, both my general physician and a urologist diagnosed it as epididymitis, prescribing a 14-day course of Cipro antibiotics and Ibuprofen. The problem got better, but not completely.

Now, a few days after completing the course of antibiotics, the pain is ramping back up. I have an appointment with the urologist this week, but in the meantime, I am wondering if I should start back on the antibiotics. Also, my physician prescribed Sulfamethoxazole, which I have, but have not taken. I guess I am scared to commit to another 14-day course without knowing for sure that it is really an infection. Am I right in thinking that blood work and an ultrasound might give a more concise view of what is going on?

Dr. Praveen Pushkar

Andrology Urology
#

• Epididymitis or epididymo orchitis takes a long time to cure completely. Often, the antibiotic course has to be prolonged for up to three months. You would be lucky if it is cured in 14 days.
  • If the pain is still there, antibiotic has to be continued along with the anti-inflammatory medicines.

I would have definitely asked for a complete hemogram and ultrasound of testis before starting an antibiotic course.

For more information consult an urologist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/urologist

|