Q. Can anxiety and high blood pressure cause rapid heartbeat?

Dr. Isaac Gana
This is a premium question & answer published on Aug 16, 2022 and last reviewed on: Aug 19, 2022

I have a history of anxiety and high blood pressure and am under medication for the same. Sometimes, my heart beats very fast, and I must go to the emergency room. The doctors advised high sensitivity troponin tests and suspected heart problems. What could be the reason for my fast heartbeat?

#

I read your query and can understand your concern.

Do you have a history of shortness of breath, chest pain, high cholesterol, or heart disease? Did you get an ECG (electrocardiogram) done? Was any treatment done at the hospital?

Kindly revert with the answers.

Thank you and take care.

Thank you for your reply.

As of now, I do not have a history of heart disease, doctor. The laboratory test results are as follows.

1. Cholesterol level is 163 mg/dL
  2. LDL (low density lipoprotein) is 89 mg/dL
  3. HDL (high density lipoprotein)is 40 mg/dL
  4. Triglycerides is 191 mg/dL.

And I have attached the ECG (electrocardiogram), Echocardiography, and TMT (cardiac stress test) reports.

#

I have reviewed your reports (attachment removed to protect the patient's identity). Your ECG is normal, and the chances of a heart attack are less.

High troponin levels alone do not determine the risk of a heart attack. It can be elevated due to other reasons as well. I suppose it might be due to anxiety.

Were you given any medications?

I hope this helps. Thank you and take care.

Thank you for the reply.

I was not given any medicines after my first attack. However, after the second attack, they gave me tablet Aspirin and tablet Atorvastatin after two weeks. They suggested consulting a cardiologist for unspecified tachycardia.

#

Your ECG (attachments are removed to protect the patient's identity) shows no signs of a heart attack, and all the other test results are normal. Tachycardia can also present similarly. Do you have a history of sore throat, fever, or anemia?

Thank you and take care.

Thank you for the reply.

I had no fever. However, I was suggested to take capsule Vancomycin for two days as my white blood cell count was high and iron levels were low, indicating an infected state.

#

I suggest you closely monitor yourself for any shortness of breath or chest pain. If you experience it, please visit the hospital and get consulted immediately.

Thank you and take care.

|