Q. What can I do to stop the clicking sound when I move my jaw?

Dr. Rakshana Devi
and medically reviewed by Dr. Preetha J
This is a premium question & answer published on Oct 31, 2021 and last reviewed on: Nov 02, 2021

When I keep moving my jaw back and forth, a clicking sound occurs. I am 15 years old and not sure if it is normal. I fear that I have a TMJ problem, and I cannot visit a dentist at this moment. I am really stressed, and I need help. It is very addicting, and I cannot stop. What can I do to stop it? When I chew, my jaw clicks, and it is annoying, and I am getting a slight pain. What should I do? My jaw did get locked once.

#

Good evening. I hope you are well. Thank you for approaching icliniq. I saw your query. I will help you to solve the issue.

A clicking sound can be due to temporomandibular disorders. Temporomandibular disorders can be due to the way of chewing and frequently moving the jaws. So, I advise you to take certain anti-inflammatory drugs. I will suggest the drug name after knowing your medical history.

• Temporary relief with ice pack application on that region extra orally.
  • There are temporomandibular exercises.
  • Certain other night guards can be used.

I need an orthopantomogram for the construction of the night guards. For mild pain, there is no need to take painkillers.

Thank you. Have a nice day.

Improper chewing.
Clenching teeth.

Orthopantamogram.
Attrition of teeth.

Wisdom teeth eruption.

Temporomandibular disorders.

Medications.
Nightguards.
Exercises.
Soft diet.
Stopping the habit of moving the jaw.

Proper chewing.
Distracting to stop moving jaw frequently.

Follow-up with a medical history and orthopantamogram.

|