Q. What can cause sharp ear pain while chewing food?

Dr. Divakara P
This is a premium question & answer published on Jun 28, 2018 and last reviewed on: Sep 09, 2019

I am a 31 year old unmarried male. I am getting very sharp and heavy pain in left ear side, inside center part of the ear, whenever I chew or eat food. This was started 4 days back. But, it was not that much noticeable and today morning it has increased. Please help.

Dr. Divakara P

Diabetology Endocrinology General Medicine Internal Medicine Pain Medicine Pulmonology (Asthma Doctors)
#

Your ear pain could be either due to a dental problem or nerve problem, a condition called trigeminal neuralgia.

If it is dental problem it has to be addressed by a dentist. The treatment is either tooth extraction or a root canal treatment. Hence, first kindly get examined by a dentist and make sure whether it is due to dental problem or not.

If it is not due to tooth issue then you need to be started on a medication called Carbamazepine for one or two months for the nerve problem.

For further information consult an internal medicine physician online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/internal-medicine-physician

| 

Thank you so much. I will consult a dentist tomorrow. But, I suspect it may be the problem like temperomandibular joint disorder. In Google one article of this disease coincides with all my symptoms and so I have a doubt. Please clarify it.

Dr. Divakara P

#

Yes, temperomandibular joint disorder may also be a possibility. But, in that case just opening the mouth will cause pain.

A dentist shall evaluate that also. He may advise an x-ray to check for that. If everything turns out normal then we need to consider trigeminal neuralgia.

| 

I feel an irritation of the nerve over the left temple. Is it a neurological or dental problem?

Query: Hello doctor, From the past three months, I am having pain like irritation of the nerve on the left side exactly on the temple of the head, and in the left jaw in front of the ear. This pain radiates to the back of the ear, below the left jaw, and then radiates to the left side of the neck. The pain...  Read Full »

Why the ear pain increased after using prescribed ear drops?

Query: Hello doctor,A few months back, I had ear pain and according to the doctor, I had a fungal infection and got my ear cleansed and prescribed some drops for my ear to be used. As I used those ear drops my ear pain got increased and it turned into a very severe pain that I start feeling that some fluid...  Read Full »

I have crackling sound and soreness in my TMJ area. Will it go away by itself?

Query: Hello doctor, I had pain in my left ear and I went to an ENT specialist. He said that my ears are fine and there is no infection. He said that I have soreness in my TMJ joint as I have a tendency to sleep on my left side with my left arm tucked under the pillow. That puts pressure on my TMJ joint a...  Read Full »