Q. Should I have been given anesthesia before a filling procedure?

Dr. Geeth Sadasivam
This is a premium question & answer published on Mar 11, 2017 and last reviewed on: Jul 10, 2021

I had a temporary filling for a deep cavity in the wisdom tooth. I have experienced extreme pain, and the dentist did not stop when prompted. Should I have been given a painkiller or anesthesia to numb the pain? Before the filling, I was not in pain, could drink cold water and eat without pain.

#

I have read through your complaint and the relevant details.

• All filling procedures do not require numbness before the treatment. Root canal treatment needs the tooth and associated gums to be anaesthetised.
  • The depth of the cavity prepared in the tooth indicates whether local anesthesia should be given or not.
  • In your case, I would like to ask you a question. Are you having pain now while eating or drinking water after the tooth has been filled? If yes, then I advise you to get an x-ray for the filled tooth.
  • The purpose is to check if the filling is so close to the tooth's vital part (pulp). So, only by confirming what exactly has happened to your tooth, I will be able to guide you with a correct explanation for the current scenario.

For further information consult a dentist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/dentist

|