Q. How difficult is it to remove a cyst from a testicle?

Dr. Raguram Ganesamoni
Published on Mar 28, 2016 and last reviewed on: Oct 09, 2018

I am a 33 year old healthy male. I have had cyst in my testicle as long as I can remember. It just aggravates me and bothers me. But, I am too embarrassed to go in person to get it looked at. They say basically you will have to live with it. There is really nothing much to do about it. What is the procedure for removing a cyst from a testicle? How difficult it is?

Dr. Raguram Ganesamoni

Andrology Urology
#

I am sorry to hear about your problem.

• Cyst inside the testis is relatively rare and is usually not removed since it can damage the testis. However, it is not at all difficult to remove. If required, it can be removed even under local anesthesia or regional anesthesia.
  • Most of the cysts in testis will actually be cysts in epididymis (the network of small tubes which collect sperms from testis and deliver it to the vas).
  • These are relatively easier to remove and less damaging to the testis. However, the procedure can damage the small tubes carrying sperms.
  • Hence, if you are planning to have children, it is not advisable to get this kind of cyst removed.
  • The correct diagnosis is based on an ultrasound of scrotum. This will tell you about their size, location and whether they are dangerous or not. If you have not undergone an ultrasound, another possibility is a hydrocele, which is fluid collecting around the testis.
  • Hydrocele can be treated easily (eversion of sac) without any damage to testis or its tubes.

Revert back with the reports to a urologist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/urologist

| 

Is an ultrasound not essential to detect the cause of lump in testicle?

Query: Hello doctor, My 24 year old son discovered a small lump in his testicle about a month ago. He saw a urologist immediately who did a physical exam, drew some blood and took a urine specimen. He said that the lump was located on the back of the testicle and most likely a benign cyst. We had a follow...  Read Full »

Is surgery mandatory for epididymo-orchitis?

Query: Hello doctor,I am a 32 year old male. Is surgery mandatory for epididymo-orchitis, with impression hydrocele and internal septations?  Read Full »