iCliniq logo

Ask a Doctor Online Now

HomeAnswersHematologythalassemia minorHow may my wife gain weight with thalassemia minor?

How can a patient with thalassemia minor gain weight?


The following is an actual conversation between an iCliniq user and a doctor that has been reviewed and published as a Premium Q&A.

Medically reviewed by

iCliniq medical review team

Published At April 12, 2024
Reviewed AtApril 12, 2024

Patient's Query

Hello doctor,

My wife is 31 years old and has a history of mild thalassemia. Her hemoglobin level is consistently between 9 and 10 units. HbA2 is 5.40, RBC count is 5.14, and packed cell volume (PCV) is 30.90. Her current weight is 129 pounds. Could you please provide a diet chart for a thalassemia minor patient to help her gain weight?

Kindly help.


Welcome to icliniq.com.

I read your query and can understand your concern (I went through your reports (attachments removed to protect the patient's identity). Your wife has beta thalassemia minor, which is one of the mild hemolytic diseases (a condition that can cause excessive bleeding). It is one of the causes of microcytic hypochromic anemia (anemia in which cells are small).

However, do not worry because in thalassemia minor, usually HB (hemoglobin) remains around 11 g/dl, and the patient can live a healthy life without any complications. But you should also do your HPLC (high-performance liquid chromatography) investigation because if you are also pregnant, genetic counseling is needed. So keep that in mind before conception, do an HPLC investigation, and acknowledge it with a report

Here are some of the dietary recommendations for your wife. Advise her to take a healthy diet two times a day to improve hemoglobin.

  1. Consume green leafy vegetables more (like spinach).

  2. Jaggery is also a good source of iron.

  3. Iron-fortified cereal, pasta, and bread can be used for breakfast.

  4. Peas, beans, and dried fruit are good to take.

  5. In cases of weakness, iron supplements can be given as Ferrous sulfate tablets or syrup along with Folic acid.

    I hope this information will help you.

    Kindly revert in case of further queries.

    Thank you.

Same symptoms don't mean you have the same problem. Consult a doctor now!

Dr. Goswami Parth Rajendragiri
Dr. Goswami Parth Rajendragiri


Community Banner Mobile
By subscribing, I agree to iCliniq's Terms & Privacy Policy.

Ask your health query to a doctor online


*guaranteed answer within 4 hours

Disclaimer: No content published on this website is intended to be a substitute for professional medical diagnosis, advice or treatment by a trained physician. Seek advice from your physician or other qualified healthcare providers with questions you may have regarding your symptoms and medical condition for a complete medical diagnosis. Do not delay or disregard seeking professional medical advice because of something you have read on this website. Read our Editorial Process to know how we create content for health articles and queries.

This website uses cookies to ensure you get the best experience on our website. iCliniq privacy policy