Q. Is my friend's beta thalassemia screening test normal?

Dr. Prakash H Muddegowda
This is a premium question & answer published on May 13, 2016 and last reviewed on: Oct 09, 2018

My cousin of 30 years old got tested for beta thalassemia screening test. He got the result as hemoglobin A2 is 2.8 %, hemoglobin F is 0.2 %, hemoglobin C, D and S are not detected. Is this normal or has any complication? Please guide.

#

Based on your query, my opinion is as follows:

• The beta thalassemia screening test appears to be normal.
  • HbA2 levels (hemoglobin A2) are normally between 2-3.3% and HbF levels (fetal hemoglobin) are 0.1-1.2% for this age. Both are normal.
  • The other hemoglobin type is HbA (adult hemoglobin) which constitutes the remaining and is in normal range.
  • In thalassemia (abnormal form of hemoglobin), HbF is predominantly elevated and up to more than 20 to 30%. So, here nothing to worry.
  • Hemoglobin C, D and S are different type of diseases and is not detected. Hence, do not to worry.
  • No further tests necessary. If he has microcytic hypochromic anemia, it is probably iron deficiency and iron supplements should help.

For further doubts consult a hematologist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/hematologist

|