Q. Are my symptoms due to the infected wound or COVID-19?

Dr. Penchala Prasad Kandikattu

A couple or so weeks ago a wasp bit me it swole and the next two days I had a hard time walking, the pain was gone after that teo days. Then after about a week it became so bad that the tiny swelling became a wound and it became infected. I tried my best to clean it twice a day, put iodine and a bandaid over it (because it was leaking). Then about 10 days week i got feasted upon by some mosquitoes. It started with one bite on the lateral side of my left leg that i itched so much it wounded. Then a day or so after was on the inner and lower right leg. I was only cleaning then, putting iodine then a band-aid. About 3 days ago I slept nearby my mom and she saw the wounds. She spplied canestein and told me to do it as frequently as I can. I did and that actually dried up most wounds and has reduced the swelling a lot.

So here’s my catch, I’m not sure if it’s related but on a few days back, we went to the city with a mask donned. I had to stay at my brother’s rice stall because I had an online class. Because of the heat I had to remove the mask. I never left my brother’s stall until it was time to go home, at which I did put my mask back on.

Yesterday I woke up with a fever and swollen tonsils. I only took a tablet of Saridon, it didn’t help but after a quick nap I felt a touch better. I didn’t feel cold nor was I hot to the people I asked to check me (we do not have a thermometer). Then at 3 am I woke up with painful throat, parched no matter how much I drank water, I got up to pee twice and I my teeth were clattering the way back up. I do not know if I’m diabetic or the infection has spread or I have COVID or was it because of the cold beverage I drank while I was in the very hot stall. I asked my mom to get me to a doctor today but she got worried I’d be isolated immediately, so I came here. I hope someone could help.

Dr. Penchala Prasad Kandikattu

# Hello

dear in this young age there is a less chance of diabetes but your wounds not healing may be due to insect bite allergy.

If you have family history of diabetes then get it done blood sugar levels.

Covid or other viral pharyngitis with lymphadenopathy or malaria or tick bite fever may also present with fever with throat pain. But in covid cases there is a much chance to get loss of smell and taste.

But any way drink warm water regularly. Use salt water gargling thrice a day for five days. Avoid cool drinks and ice creams.

Use tablet amoxicillin and clavulinic acid 625 mg thrice a day for five days. Use tablet paracetamol 650 mg thrice a day for five days.

Get it done covid RNA PCR, complete blood picture, Weil felix test, peripheral smear study, blood sugar levels, absolute euosinophil count and total bilirubin levels.

Drink plenty of liquids, use mupirocine oinment twice a day for five days at the wound site.

Get it TT to avoid developing tetanus. If you developed allergy to above medication stop immediately and consult with your doctor near by.

Please don't neglect, as early as possible get it done above investigations and post me or consult with your physician he will examine and treat you accordingly.

Take care.

| 
Doc, about how many hours should I wait for the prescription? We don’t live in the city, we don’t have a pharmacy around:

Dr. Penchala Prasad Kandikattu

# Hello

Dear

Inj. TT 0.5 ml I'm take it from your doctor.
Tablet amoxicillin+ clavulinic acid 625 mg twice a day after food (every 12 th hourly) for five days.
Tablet. Paracetamol 650 mg thrice a day for five days after food.
Oint mupirocine 2% apply locally twice a day for one week.
Tablet levocarnitine 5 mg twice a day after food for five days ( if you're suffering from itching).

If you have any allergy to above drugs please consult with your physician he will examine and treat you accordingly.

| 
Ehm, last one.

I texted my parents and co amoxiclav is not available in the city. I forgot to tell them it can be anything so long at it’s and amoxicillin-clavunilic acid.

We however have 500 mg erythromycin available in my town. Would the dosage be the same if I switch? And if it’s okay as well?

Dr. Penchala Prasad Kandikattu

# dear if not available then you may use cefpodoxime with clavulinic acid 200 twice a day for five days.

If cefpodoxime not available then dicloxacilline ( amoxicillin+ cloxacilline) twice a day after food.

| 
Thanks doc

Fever in Babies: When to Call the Doctor

Article Overview: Fever is a non-specific symptom. When babies have fever, it can be traumatic for the parents as well, because they are unsure of what is causing it and how to soothe the baby. Adding to their anxiety, the baby is unable to explain his/ her discomfort in words. This article deals with how to take care of a baby who is down with fever and when to seek medical help. Read Article

Dr. Vasantha K S
Child Health Specialist

Fever is not an illness by itself, but a symptom. It can be due to virus or bacteria. Viral fevers that come with the common flu or cold tend to subside within three days. They do not require antibiotics as these medicines have no effect on the virus. On the other hand, bacterial fevers like urinary...  Read Article

What can cause frequent throat infection?

Query: Hi doctor, I used to get throat infection whenever I drink cold water. Due to weather also drinking water gets cold. Even that leads to throat infection. What measure shall I take to protect myself from throat infection?  Read Full »

What has to be done for fever and chills in 3 years 6 months old child?

Query: Hello doctor, Fever and chills in a child of age 3 years 6 months. A mild cough is also noticed. What can I do?  Read Full »