Q. My neck and ankles have swollen as I stopped taking Thyroxine. Kindly help.

Dr. Suhail Khanday

My age is above 50. I have thyroid disorder for many years. I used to take Thyroxine. I am not taking any medicine right now. My body has swelled, especially my neck and the ankles. I also have a severe cough and weakness. Kindly help me to correct my thyroid disorder.

#

I want to know the dose of Thyroxine (Levothyroxine) you were taking earlier, and did you stop taking Thyroxine on your own, or your doctor stopped it. Also, please give me your menstrual history. The thyroid hormone regulates the body's metabolism, and once it is deficient in the body, substance starts accumulating in your body, leading to swelling of your body. Do you have the following symptoms:

1) Constipation.

2) Lethargy.

3) Cold intolerance.

4) Hair loss.

5) Menstrual problems.

6) Weight gain.

7) Mood changes.

If yes, do let me know. In addition, I would suggest you repeat a thyroid profile so that I can help you accordingly.

|