Q. Which tests detect thyroid disorder in a person suffering associated symptoms?

Dr. Mashfika N Alam

I suspect I have a hormone issue, which seems to be related to my thyroid. Because I have most of the symptoms listed with thyroid problems, which include a burning sensation in the neck, fatigue, insomnia, anxiety, depression, increased appetite, intense cravings, weight gain, night sweats, excessive gas, constipation, missed periods, and burning sensation or pain in the lower abdomen. Also, I have had headaches, irritability, and muscle tenderness for the last six weeks. I have had my TSH tested, and it is normal at 1.8 mU/L. Also, I take tablets Thyroid support, Chaste tree, and Zoloft. I have considered thyroid issues, PMDD, IBS, and several other things that these symptoms suggest, but I do not know what is happening. What tests should I undergo to figure that out?

Please give your suggestions.

#

I went through your query and understood your concern.

First of all, your symptoms are a mix of both hyper and hypothyroidism, making it unlikely for either to be the diagnosis. This, in addition to the TSH (thyroid-stimulating hormone) level, rules out a thyroid disorder, even though some symptoms are consistent with thyroid issues. I understand there was weight gain as well as weight loss, but it would be helpful if you shared more details about your weight issues, like,

1. Were you overweight or obese, and if the symptoms of depression, missed periods, etc., coincided with the weight gain?

2. Also, do you have frequent acne breakouts and facial hair?

3. Do you suffer from bad eating habits, or are you too conscious about your weight? As these would take us in a different direction.

Please provide more details of your symptoms, particularly the ones I just mentioned, so that we can narrow down the list of possibilities and get to the bottom of this.

I hope this was helpful.

Kindly follow up with the answers.

Take care.

|