Q. Does thyroid problem delay pregnancy?

Dr. Swaraj S W
This is a premium question & answer published on Nov 06, 2017 and last reviewed on: Oct 09, 2018

I am a 27 year old unmarried female. Before six months, I was diagnosed with hypothyroidism. I have been taking Thyronorm 100 mcg. Recently, I had TSH test and the level was 0.47 U/mL, which is considered as hyperthyroid. When my doctor asked me the previous dosage, by mistake I told her 150 mcg, but my actual dosage was 100 mcg. So, she suggested 125 mcg. I tried to contact my doctor, but could not reach her. Shall I take Thyronorm 75 mcg? When will my thyroid levels become normal?

#

• I suggest you follow the same dose as you are not a hyperthyroid yet.
  • Also, if you are planning for your marriage and pregnancy, then this TSH value is normal.
  •  If the TSH (thyroid stimulating hormone) value is less than 0.3 U/mL, then the dosage of tablet has to be reduced.

For further information consult an endocrinologist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/endocrinologist

The laboratory test results indicate that the normal range of TSH should be within 0.7 to 4.2 U/mL. My doctor has also reduced my dosage to 125 mcg since I said my previous dosage was 150 mcg. Shall I take 75 mcg? I am getting married next month. Will my TSH value decrease further if I continue same 100 mcg?

#

• I advise you FT4 test (free Thyroxine test) to be done to confirm the dosage reduction and if you are planning for a pregnancy immediately after your marriage.
  • Another option is to continue the same dose and totally skip the tablet once a week. It is called a drug holiday. Consult your doctor, discuss with him or her and then take the medicine with consent.

As I am not planning for a pregnancy for about six months, can I continue the same dose 100 mcg? Will it lower my thyroid problem? I came to know that the thyroid patient cannot conceive without thyroid control. Is it true? If I try for pregnancy without any test or checkup, will it lead to any complication?

#

• You need not worry as it is very common nowadays and not a serious issue.
  • For a few people with hypothyroidism, they should be under supervision while pregnant.
  • If you get pregnant accidentally too, then there is no harm to you or the baby. It is better to plan accordingly well before.
  • My advise is to have medicines regularly. Take the tablets on an empty stomach and keep a gap of one hour before tea, coffee or breakfast.

My vitamin B12 level is 118 ng/L. My physician has suggested me to take a vitamin B12 injection twice a week for three weeks, followed by once a week for six weeks, once a month for six months and then four times a year. For the past six months, I had severe acne due to PCOS. Now it has gone. I was also taking Diane 35 for six months and now I have stopped it. Will it affect my skin if I take a vitamin B12 injection? Since my marriage is fixed, I am very much concerned about my skin.

#

• Vitamin B12 injection and acne are not related.
  • The acne is mainly due to PCOS (polysystic ovary syndrome). Diane-35 is the best treatment for acne (combination of Cyproterone and Ethinyl Estradiol). May I know your height and weight?

My height is 5'2" and my weight is 57 kg. My acne has cleared now. My doctor has told me to stop taking Diane-35 and check for my periods. She has told me to do regular exercise to control my weight. I have hormonal problems in my body for the past two years. Is there any natural method to keep my hormones balanced? As I have both PCOS and thyroid problem, I am worried regarding my pregnancy. Please suggest me some advice.

#

• As I have said earlier a lot of people these days have hypothyroidism and PCOS. You need not worry.
  • I advice you proper diet and exercise, that is, walking for 45 minutes daily at least five days a week.
  • I also advice you follow yoga and meditation.

For further information consult an endocrinologist online -->  https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/endocrinologist

If I am planning not to get pregnant, then how to postpone it? 

#

There are two methods to avoid pregnancy.

• I suggest you continue Diane as long as you wish to avoid pregnancy as that will also keep your cycles regular.
  • The safest and best method is barrier contraception, that is, using a condom. Please discuss with your fiance and then take a decision.

|