Q. Does thyroid problem delay pregnancy?

Dr. Swaraj S W
Published on Nov 06, 2017 and last reviewed on: Oct 09, 2018

I am a 27 year old unmarried female. Before six months, I was diagnosed with hypothyroidism. I have been taking Thyronorm 100 mcg. Recently, I had TSH test and the level was 0.47 U/mL, which is considered as hyperthyroid. When my doctor asked me the previous dosage, by mistake I told her 150 mcg, but my actual dosage was 100 mcg. So, she suggested 125 mcg. I tried to contact my doctor, but could not reach her. Shall I take Thyronorm 75 mcg? When will my thyroid levels become normal?

Dr. Swaraj S W

Diabetology Endocrinology
#

• I suggest you follow the same dose as you are not a hyperthyroid yet.
  • Also, if you are planning for your marriage and pregnancy, then this TSH value is normal.
  •  If the TSH (thyroid stimulating hormone) value is less than 0.3 U/mL, then the dosage of tablet has to be reduced.

For further information consult an endocrinologist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/endocrinologist

The laboratory test results indicate that the normal range of TSH should be within 0.7 to 4.2 U/mL. My doctor has also reduced my dosage to 125 mcg since I said my previous dosage was 150 mcg. Shall I take 75 mcg? I am getting married next month. Will my TSH value decrease further if I continue same 100 mcg?

Dr. Swaraj S W

Diabetology Endocrinology
#

• I advise you FT4 test (free Thyroxine test) to be done to confirm the dosage reduction and if you are planning for a pregnancy immediately after your marriage.
  • Another option is to continue the same dose and totally skip the tablet once a week. It is called a drug holiday. Consult your doctor, discuss with him or her and then take the medicine with consent.

As I am not planning for a pregnancy for about six months, can I continue the same dose 100 mcg? Will it lower my thyroid problem? I came to know that the thyroid patient cannot conceive without thyroid control. Is it true? If I try for pregnancy without any test or checkup, will it lead to any complication?

Dr. Swaraj S W

Diabetology Endocrinology
#

• You need not worry as it is very common nowadays and not a serious issue.
  • For a few people with hypothyroidism, they should be under supervision while pregnant.
  • If you get pregnant accidentally too, then there is no harm to you or the baby. It is better to plan accordingly well before.
  • My advise is to have medicines regularly. Take the tablets on an empty stomach and keep a gap of one hour before tea, coffee or breakfast.

My vitamin B12 level is 118 ng/L. My physician has suggested me to take a vitamin B12 injection twice a week for three weeks, followed by once a week for six weeks, once a month for six months and then four times a year. For the past six months, I had severe acne due to PCOS. Now it has gone. I was also taking Diane 35 for six months and now I have stopped it. Will it affect my skin if I take a vitamin B12 injection? Since my marriage is fixed, I am very much concerned about my skin.

Dr. Swaraj S W

Diabetology Endocrinology
#

• Vitamin B12 injection and acne are not related.
  • The acne is mainly due to PCOS (polysystic ovary syndrome). Diane-35 is the best treatment for acne (combination of Cyproterone and Ethinyl Estradiol). May I know your height and weight?

My height is 5'2" and my weight is 57 kg. My acne has cleared now. My doctor has told me to stop taking Diane-35 and check for my periods. She has told me to do regular exercise to control my weight. I have hormonal problems in my body for the past two years. Is there any natural method to keep my hormones balanced? As I have both PCOS and thyroid problem, I am worried regarding my pregnancy. Please suggest me some advice.

Dr. Swaraj S W

Diabetology Endocrinology
#

• As I have said earlier a lot of people these days have hypothyroidism and PCOS. You need not worry.
  • I advice you proper diet and exercise, that is, walking for 45 minutes daily at least five days a week.
  • I also advice you follow yoga and meditation.

For further information consult an endocrinologist online -->  https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/endocrinologist

If I am planning not to get pregnant, then how to postpone it? 

Dr. Swaraj S W

Diabetology Endocrinology
#

There are two methods to avoid pregnancy.

• I suggest you continue Diane as long as you wish to avoid pregnancy as that will also keep your cycles regular.
  • The safest and best method is barrier contraception, that is, using a condom. Please discuss with your fiance and then take a decision.

Will increased TSH level harm the baby's brain growth?

Query: Hi doctor, I am 26 years old. My height is 5'1" and weight is 52.4. I am 20 weeks pregnant now. I underwent a surgery for complete thyroidectomy and I am taking Thyroxin 100 mcg regularly. In my first trimester, the TSH level was 0.31 and the doctor advised me to continue the same dosage of medici...  Read Full »

What causes low TSH and FT4?

Query: Dear Doctor, After my tubal pregnancy my thyroids started acting low TSH 0.11 0.21 0.26 and low FT4 0.81 0.82 0.79 .076. But did not visit the doctor yet. Is it hyperactivity thyroid? Give me any advice.  Read Full »

Acne vulgaris, a Social Problem.

Article Overview: This article discusses the social problems encountered by teens as well as adults due to acne. Read Article

Dr. Kakkar

Acne is the most common skin problem encountered in the teenagers and also in adults. Acne is not a disease by itself, but being chronic in nature, it can have a significant impact in shaping the overall personality of a person. People with acne are often found to have low self-esteem which restrict...  Read Article

Ask an Endocrinologist Now