Q. Nothing has helped the red rash on top of my foot. What to do?

Dr. Payal Chauhan

I am a 41-year-old male, and I have a red rash on the top of my foot, which is very painful. It covers the bottom half of my toes and goes about three-fourth of the way down my foot. I have had it for a couple of weeks now, and I think it is an athlete’s foot. I have tried so many OTC creams and sprays along with Epsom salt baths, and nothing has helped. What to do?

Dr. Payal Chauhan

Dermatology Venereology
#

I understand your concern, but there are no attached photographs in your message. Kindly send a picture of the affected area to help you better. I need to see the affected area to assess the condition and to suggest the appropriate treatment.

Take care.

Thanks.

| 

Thank you doctor.

I have attached the photo for your reference.

Dr. Payal Chauhan

Dermatology Venereology
#

Thanks for the picture<attachment removed to protect patient identity>. Yes, it looks like tinea pedis, a fungal infection caused by dermatophytes, a type of skin infection. It seems there can be a candidal component also. Try the following medications and stop applying others.

1. Capsule Itraconazole 200 mg twice a day after meals for ten days.

2. Tablet Levocetirizine 5 mg twice a day.

3. Luliconazole cream, apply twice a day.

Please consult with your specialist doctor, discuss with him or her, and then start taking the medication. Review after ten days.

Take care.

| 

Thank you doctor.

Where do I get these medicines?

Do I need a prescription to buy this?

Dr. Payal Chauhan

Dermatology Venereology
#

Yes, I think you will need a prescription for this. Please contact your physician and get the prescription.

Take care.

|