Q. Can I use IIC aid to stop the ringing sound in my ears?

Dr. B. Vageesh Padiyar
and medically reviewed by Dr. Chithranjali Ravichandran

I have a ringing sound in my ears, and I also have a hearing loss problem. I did not notice this before, and I guess this is due to my working atmosphere in the sound zone-like machine operating area. I took an audiometry test, and the results are 60 to 70 dB.

Can I use IIC aid, or is there any other solution to stop the ringing sounds?

Kindly help.

#

Thanks for the briefing regarding the problem in concern.

The cause of the ringing sound in the ear in your case is attributed to the present sensorineural hearing loss. The hearing loss has developed mainly due to the noise exposure that has been there for quite some time. For the hearing loss, depending on the grade, you can go for an invisible in the canal (IIC) device after undergoing a trial for the same. There will be some reduction in the sound when you wear the hearing aid, but the ringing will be there when you remove it.

To make it short, tinnitus or ringing sound in the ear due to noise-induced sensorineural hearing loss has no specific treatment, and a hearing aid is just meant to give you better hearing and to mask the ringing sounds.

Make sure you take a trial before you buy any hearing aid, and it is always advised not to be in a hurry while buying one.

I hope this answers your query. If there is anything more that you need to know, please inform us, and we will revert to you as soon as possible.

Warm regards.

|