Q. I have sudden hearing loss and severe ear pain. Please help.

Dr. B Vageesh Padiyar

I have a sudden hearing loss all that i can hear in my right ear is what i can only describe as blood pumping like a pulsating, however i have a lot of pain with it as well.

Dr. B Vageesh Padiyar

Otolaryngology (E.N.T)
#

Hi!

A sudden sensorineural hearing loss occuring with 24 hrs is a medical emergency and has to be evaluated and treated accordingly. Any treatment initiated after 48hrs becomes less usefull and doest bring desired results even with full course of treatment and hence its vital that you get yourself evaluated for the same.

The reasons for such a type of hearing loss are plenty and mostly include sudden vascular compromise, viral infection, autoimmune or endocrine disorder.

Whatever might be the reason, in such a scenario, blanket treatment is initiated with steroids (either intra tympanic or intravenous) , anti virals, plasma expanders, hyberbaric oxygen therapy and correction of endocrine pathlogy as soon as possible.

There is absolutely nothing that you need to worry, but my advice to you is to seek urgent medical therapy. Kindly get a hearing evaluation done as soon as possible as well.

I hope i have answered your query. If there is anything more that you need to know or enquire, please do let us know and we will get back to you ASAP.

|