Q. Are tonsil stones, sore throat, and swollen gums symptoms of oral or throat cancer?

Dr. Syed Tehmid
and medically reviewed by Dr. Nithila A
Published on Jun 20, 2019 and last reviewed on: Jun 22, 2019

I have tonsil stones, sore throat, swollen gums, and dry cough. Is this the symptoms of oral or throat cancer?

Dr. Syed Tehmid

Otolaryngology (E.N.T)
#

A recurrent sore throat can occur in a number of pathologies. Most often it is as a result of some local pathology like Rhinosinusitis, nasopharyngitis, tonsillitis, GERD (gastroesophageal reflux disease), LPR (laryngopharyngeal reflux). Rather than relapsing and recurring course malignancies tend to have a progressive course. Further age is a crucial factor.

Younger people usually do not have malignancies. Your doctor must have checked your throat, and he would for sure have picked something if there was any such thing. GERD and LPR are mainly known to cause recurrent sore throat. Malignancy is the last thing one would suspect at your age.

Taking Pantoprazole for GERD. Is any drug interactions between Pantoprazole and Voltaren?

Query: Hello doctor, I am on 40 mg Pantoprazole twice a day for GERD. I just took 50 mg Voltaren for a bad back and I am worried sick. I checked online and it said no drug interactions. I have not yet taken my nightly dose of Pantoprazole, should I not take it?  Read Full »

Can sinus drainage cause tonsil stones?

Query: Hello doctor, I have had sinus problems my whole life, getting sinus infections every year or sometimes twice a year, constantly having drainage in the back of my throat) and it was only annoying until a few days ago. Four days ago, I learned I had tonsil stones when I coughed up about 10 (no photos...  Read Full »

I feel a dry spot on the inside of my cheek. Does it suggest oral cancer?

Query: Hello doctor, I am a 31 year old male. For about three weeks, I have felt a dry spot inside of my cheek. It has a metallic taste. When I run my finger over it, it feels a little rough, and there are some skin peeling and bleeding. It looks like I can see a tiny little zit. It does not hurt.  Read Full »