Q. I have a feel of food being stuck in my throat. Why?

Published on Oct 23, 2019

More than two months ago, I started getting this constant feeling of food being stuck in the top back of my left tonsil. I looked in the mirror and did not see anything suspicious in my throat. Since I get tonsil stones often (even though I do not feel them), I thought it was the same and would go away. One and half months later, the feeling became stronger, and whenever I swallow, I felt something on my left tonsil. When I looked in the mirror, I could see some redness and a few small veins close to my tonsil on the left side of my throat, and the tonsil itself was a little swollen and red.

I made an appointment with an ENT doctor. He examined with the light and did not see anything unusual, so he suggested that it is nothing remarkable. Since I was very nervous about the constant feeling for more than a month, he felt my tonsils with his fingers and said if it was cancer, he could feel it and assured me that it is not anything significant.

After two weeks, I still feel the same sensation of food being stuck on the top back of my left tonsil, but stronger and itchy. I looked in the mirror last night and noticed a big white circle on the top of my left tonsil. I have no fever, no pain in my ear or my tonsils, and no flu symptoms. When I swallow, it is harder on my left side, and I feel something on the left tonsil. The right tonsil is completely fine, and I do not feel anything unusual. I am currently on Rosuvastatin and Levothyroxine. I will include pictures and would appreciate any help.

Allergy Specialist Otolaryngology (E.N.T)
#

Is there such a feeling when you do not swallow anything?

Is there any pain or fever or soreness?

Is any mucus dripping from the back of the nose to throat?

Any nose block or nasal discharge?

Any problem of sinusitis?

How is your diet? Do you smoke or drink?

Have you tried any antacid medicines or gargles?

Do you have diabetes or hypertension?

Can you take another picture wherein both tonsils are seen and also the back wall of the throat?

Yes, I have the feeling of something being stuck is constantly there. No pain, fever, or soreness.

I have not noticed any mucus dripping from the nose to the throat.

No nose block or nasal discharge. So my answer to all of your questions above is no.

My diet is pretty healthy. I eat oatmeal in the morning and one meal, mostly proteins during the day.

I do not smoke nor drink and try to have a healthy and active lifestyle.

#

You do have some amount of postnasal drip and granular congestion of the posterior pharyngeal wall. Now, this can be due to two things, Rhinitis and reflux laryngitis.

Rhinitis causes some amount of recurrent postnasal discharge that drips into the throat triggering some lump sensation inside.

Reflux laryngitis occurs due to excess acid that regurgitates into the esophagus and rises to the voice production area.

The other side tonsil is also mildly enlarged, but the crypts are not that prominent.

The left tonsillar crypts have accrued some debris and probably food particles, and those are giving it a whitish tinge. This could be aggravated due to the reflux problem also.

Did you try any nonalcoholic gargles for the tonsils like Benzydamine gargles mixed in an equal amount of water?

Have you tried any antacid medicines like Protonix or Esokem?

Have you used any nasal sprays and anti-allergics to ease with the post nasal drip?

Can sinus drainage cause tonsil stones?

Query: Hello doctor, I have had sinus problems my whole life, getting sinus infections every year or sometimes twice a year, constantly having drainage in the back of my throat) and it was only annoying until a few days ago. Four days ago, I learned I had tonsil stones when I coughed up about 10 (no photos...  Read Full >>

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. I understand you want to know if your tonsil and sinus problems are related. Yes. Recurrent post nasal drip due to sino-nasal infection or chronic sinusitis can cause local infection in the tonsils which make the tonsillar crypts produce thick and excess mucus. T...  Read Full

How to clean tonsils with Waterpik?

Query: Hi doctor, I am having an issue with one of my tonsils (or around one of my tonsils). I have dealt with tonsil stones for years, and have typically used my finger or Waterpik to remove them. Last Saturday, I discovered some tonsil stones and used my finger to remove them. Upon not getting everything...  Read Full >>

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. I have gone through the pictures (attachment removed to protect patient identity) and read every detail you wrote. I must commend you for the detailed and chronological description of your problem. Like you predicted, it does not appear like stones. It is infected tons...  Read Full

How can I treat the pain a little left under my Adam's apple?

Query: Hello doctor, There is pain under Adam's apple a little to the left. I have a history of acid reflux. There is a pain in the throat with acid reflux. I did see an ENT about two years ago. Everything was fine except for swollen vocal cords due to the acid reflux. I also had thyroid studies and ...  Read Full >>

Dr. Manu Wilfred

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. Gastroesophageal reflux disease typically presents with heartburn and regurgitation. Extraesophageal symptoms include a sore throat, hoarse voice, feeling of food stuck in the throat, chest pain etc. Upon examination of the throat, the finding of swollen vocal cords...  Read Full