Q. I have a feel of food being stuck in my throat. Why?

Dr. Shyam Kalyan. N

More than two months ago, I started getting this constant feeling of food being stuck in the top back of my left tonsil. I looked in the mirror and did not see anything suspicious in my throat. Since I get tonsil stones often (even though I do not feel them), I thought it was the same and would go away. One and half months later, the feeling became stronger, and whenever I swallow, I felt something on my left tonsil. When I looked in the mirror, I could see some redness and a few small veins close to my tonsil on the left side of my throat, and the tonsil itself was a little swollen and red.

I made an appointment with an ENT doctor. He examined with the light and did not see anything unusual, so he suggested that it is nothing remarkable. Since I was very nervous about the constant feeling for more than a month, he felt my tonsils with his fingers and said if it was cancer, he could feel it and assured me that it is not anything significant.

After two weeks, I still feel the same sensation of food being stuck on the top back of my left tonsil, but stronger and itchy. I looked in the mirror last night and noticed a big white circle on the top of my left tonsil. I have no fever, no pain in my ear or my tonsils, and no flu symptoms. When I swallow, it is harder on my left side, and I feel something on the left tonsil. The right tonsil is completely fine, and I do not feel anything unusual. I am currently on Rosuvastatin and Levothyroxine. I will include pictures and would appreciate any help.

#

Is there such a feeling when you do not swallow anything?

Is there any pain or fever or soreness?

Is any mucus dripping from the back of the nose to throat?

Any nose block or nasal discharge?

Any problem of sinusitis?

How is your diet? Do you smoke or drink?

Have you tried any antacid medicines or gargles?

Do you have diabetes or hypertension?

Can you take another picture wherein both tonsils are seen and also the back wall of the throat?

Yes, I have the feeling of something being stuck is constantly there. No pain, fever, or soreness.

I have not noticed any mucus dripping from the nose to the throat.

No nose block or nasal discharge. So my answer to all of your questions above is no.

My diet is pretty healthy. I eat oatmeal in the morning and one meal, mostly proteins during the day.

I do not smoke nor drink and try to have a healthy and active lifestyle.

#

You do have some amount of postnasal drip and granular congestion of the posterior pharyngeal wall. Now, this can be due to two things, Rhinitis and reflux laryngitis.

Rhinitis causes some amount of recurrent postnasal discharge that drips into the throat triggering some lump sensation inside.

Reflux laryngitis occurs due to excess acid that regurgitates into the esophagus and rises to the voice production area.

The other side tonsil is also mildly enlarged, but the crypts are not that prominent.

The left tonsillar crypts have accrued some debris and probably food particles, and those are giving it a whitish tinge. This could be aggravated due to the reflux problem also.

Did you try any nonalcoholic gargles for the tonsils like Benzydamine gargles mixed in an equal amount of water?

Have you tried any antacid medicines like Protonix or Esokem?

Have you used any nasal sprays and anti-allergics to ease with the post nasal drip?

|