Q. Why do tonsils get hurt while coughing?

Dr. Jagdish Chaturvedi
This is a premium question & answer published on Jan 23, 2020 and last reviewed on: Jan 27, 2020

I am a 14-year-old male. Last week, I had really bad pain under, which I realized was my tonsils. I went to a doctor to get it checked out. He said they were definitely infected, but they did not give me any medication. He said it would go away by itself. Now, I have a really bad cough. When I cough, it makes my tonsils hurt like crazy. Last night, I had a really bad coughing fit that I could not breathe, so I ran to the bathroom, and ended up coughing up blood.

Also, when I sleep, I feel as if someone was pressing on my chest, and it is hard to breathe and it is also hard to swallow. Currently, when I cough it hurts my tonsils, my chest, and now also my head. Only when I cough, I get a sharp pain on my left temple. I feel awful. My mom said I also look really pale, and my teachers have been asking me if I am fine because I do not look well. I do not want to go see a doctor, because it is a waste of time if I do not get any medication. Please tell me what I can do to feel better.

Dr. Jagdish Chaturvedi

Otolaryngology (E.N.T)
#

It is surprising that you were not started on medications despite your tonsillitis and throat complaints. It may be possible that your symptoms or findings were subclinical when you saw the doctor and it may have worsened further since then.

It sounds like a throat infection for which you may need a course of antibiotics. On an online portal such as this, it is not recommended for me to prescribe antibiotics without an in-person evaluation. However, I can recommend the use of antiseptic gargles such as dilute Betadine gargling (5 ml of Betadine in 50 ml of lukewarm water. Do not swallow) thrice daily before and after meals for about a week along with over the counter available anti-inflammatories such as Paracetamol 500 mg twice daily for three days. If you develop fever or your symptoms worsen, it is advised that you show yourself to a doctor or at the ER and in such a situation I am certain that you will be treated with medications appropriately.

| 

This is an Ad. icliniq or icliniq doctors do not endorse the content in the ad.

What are the signs of tonsillitis?

Query: Hi doctor, My 15 year old daughter always gets sick. When I take her to the doctor, every time he used to say it as viral infection. This is the fifth time in a year she has been sick with the same symptoms. Her symptoms are cough, low fever, sore throat and yellowish white colored mucus covering h...  Read Full »

I am coughing up blood in the mornings past three days. Should I worry?

Query: Hi doctor, I saw a blood streak while coughing into a tissue in the morning for the past three days, occurring only in the morning. I had a cold, but now I have just been coughing for the past 10 days. Please tell me if the blood I see is something to worry about or not. Also, I would like to know ...  Read Full »

I am suffering from tonsillitis, fever and cough. Please help.

Query: Hello doctor, I am a 40-year-old male. I have been suffering from tonsillitis and fever for the last five days. I took antibiotics to treat my painful tonsillitis and fever and the antibiotic showed a very bad reaction. I developed skin rashes on my chest and around my nose. Whenever I have anythi...  Read Full »