Q. What is the treatment for red sputum?

Initially, I had cold and cough, which now turned into sinus. I had Almox 500 mg for five days. For sinus I normally used to take Novamox 500. Sinus got cured but still I have some cold and cough. It has been 10 days. Since yesterday there are times when I blow my nose or spit, the sputum is red.

#

Acute sinusitis should be treated with 10 days of Amoxicillin and what you are having is acute on chronic sinusitis.

I would suggest completing the course for next five days. Continue the steaming and use saline nasal spray.

Do not blow your nose so hard. If the antihistamine is making your nose dry then do not use it, use Paracetamol for pain relief.

Allegra (Fexofenadine) is a good medication, but sometimes can cause nasal dryness.

Once the nasal dryness is cured you can also use nasal steroid that has Fluticasone or use Nasonex (Mometasone) or Nasacort (Triamcinolone). Use one spray in each nostril throughout the spring season.

For further information consult an internal medicine physician online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/internal-medicine-physician

My sinus has got completely cured. The sinus usually lasts for four to five days. I had a course for five days.

I had Allegra and Becosule with it and have stopped taking that. I do not feel any dryness. Cold and cough is also better.

My only worry is the red spot on the sputum. Since yesterday, there has been red mucus when I spit.

I have attached the photos for your reference. I have started Grilinctus from yesterday.

#

The cough happens due to post nasal drip from the sinuses down in the throat. The cough is a reflux to that irritation.

You may see red streaks of blood (attachment removed to protect patient identity) in sinusitis (if still going on) or acute bronchitis.

• The bronchitis could be viral or bacterial. Amoxicillin should help with the bacterial part of it, but the inflammation takes time to recover.
  • It is just symptomatic then manage with inhalers. If you have wheezing and shortness of breath then you are is need of cough syrup and antihistamine.
  • If you do not improve in the next two weeks then chest X-ray would be reasonable. I would want you to know that acute bronchitis is the most common reason for having streaks of blood in the sputum.

For further doubts consult an internal medicine physician online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/internal-medicine-physician

| 

Kindly suggest treatment options for chronic sinusitis.

Query: Hi doctor, I am suffering from nasal blockage for the past 1.5 months. Generally, I have cold and cough problems from past 10 to 12 years, which becomes worse during the weather change. Earlier, I had breathing problem, but have been experiencing nose blockage now. The nose will be blocked from bo...  Read Full »

Why do I have a bloody spot near the back of my throat?

Query: Hi doctor, I have been having some issues with my throat from the past couple of months. I feel a tightness in the neck. I do not have a runny nose, but I have post-nasal drip and lots of phlegm or mucus in the mornings. I feel like I need to clear my throat a lot. The symptoms seemed to go away fo...  Read Full »

I have a constant headache from 10 days. Could it be due to a brain tumor?

Query: Hello doctor, I am a 31 year old male. I am 6 feet 2 inches tall and obese at 113 kg. The problem that I am describing below I have been experiencing for the past 10 days or so. I have a more or less constant headache. It is typically on the right part of the forehead, around the hairline and occurr...  Read Full »

Vitamin D and COVID-19
Did you know COVID-19 patients with vitamin D deficiency are twice as likely to have severe complications, including dea...  Read more»
The New 'Super-Spreader' Strain of Coronavirus
A new variant of SARS-CoV-2, the virus that causes COVID-19, is spreading fast in parts of the UK. Read how this new var...  Read more»
How to treat my mother's sigmoid colon ulcer?
Hi doctor, My mother, who is 45 years old, has ulcers in the sigmoid colon for the last 15 years. The problem got reduce...  Read more»