Q. Will viral tonsillitis progress to cancer if there is a history of vaping?

Dr. Sandeep Shrestha

I have been vaping for six months on and off, and I recently noticed that I have viral tonsillitis. I got a strep test and culture swab because of the symptoms. It is negative for both tests. So the doctor said that it might be viral tonsillitis. I had tonsil stones all over but had a really big one on my left tonsil; I pricked it out until it bled, and I noticed a grey hole in my tonsil that still smells, and I also noticed a bubble growth underneath my left tonsil. I can also see the same on the right side but a little smaller. I have a lot of mucus in my nose and throat. My nose is dried up with mucus, and now I have a large white blister on the bottom of my gums that hurts a lot. Does this look cancerous? Can I develop cancer within these six months in the tonsil? I am attaching photographs of the tonsil below.

#

As per your history and photographs, it does not seem to be cancerous (attachments removed to protect the patient's identity). I suggest not to remove tonsil stone on your own, as it may cause traumatic bleeding. I recommend gargling after every meal with warm saltwater. Take steam inhalation and nasal wash using netipot for mucus in the nose. Apply ointment Orajel (Benzocaine) three times a day for seven days on the oral lesion. It is rare to develop cancer from tonsillitis.

|