Q. Does my sore throat look like strep?

Dr. Shyam Kalyan. N
This is a premium question & answer published on Jul 29, 2016 and last reviewed on: Oct 09, 2018

I am suffering from sore throat. Three days ago, it initially started with pain and the redness appeared shortly after. I have had strep about three times now. It hurts when I yawn and swallow. I feel a little dry even though I have been gargling with water. I woke up this morning with a thick vertical red line going down my throat. Does it look like strep?

#

We are happy to help you.

With the details you have provided and the photo you shared (attachment removed to protect patient identity), I have come to the conclusion that you are having an acute tonsillopharyngitis.

This is the infection of pharynx (upper part of the throat) and your tonsils on each side. Now, we can conclude it as a streptococcal infection only based on the culture and sensitivity swab of the throat.

• I would suggest you get a throat swab done and start on symptomatic medications while you wait for the report. The symptomatic medications would be anti-inflammatory drugs to reduce edema, congestion and swelling, painkillers alleviate pain and warm water gargles soothe the area.
  • Anti-inflammatory medications available in the combination of trypsin-chymotrypsin-rutoside-bromelain enzymes, which are usually taken before food twice a day.
  • Painkillers can be simple Acetaminophen (dosage based on your weight) or Etoricoxib if the pain is severe. Consult your doctor, discuss with him or her and take the medicine with consent.
  • Some other precautions and general measures that can aid in better healing are as follows: Avoidance of smoking, alcohol, spicy and oily foods, cold foods and drinks. Drink plenty of warm water and soups.

For further information consult an ENT otolaryngologist online -->https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/ENT-Otolaryngologist

|