Q. How to manage abscessed tooth?

Dr. Naveen Thomas
This is a premium question & answer published on Dec 16, 2016 and last reviewed on: Jan 12, 2021

I lost the canine tooth of upper jaw due to decay and there is only a root fragment. Within a short period of time, I developed an incredible painful abscess. I saw my dentist last week and he scheduled retained root extract. He also told me that there is no possible way to minimize the pain until extraction, despite the pain being exhausting and miserable.

My questions are will the pain instantly improve? If not, then will the severity of infection make it more painful than a normal extraction? Will the dentist be able to tell how far it has spread after extraction? What about the recovery after extraction? Will it longer period of time? I am also very nervous because I have another abscess on the opposite side. Will the dentist still claim there is no way to manage pain leaving me to deal with it even longer? It has been incredibly difficult. Pain usually does not frighten me, but because of the severity, I am petrified of it getting worse. I also have a peptic ulcer and avoiding NSAIDs. Even though, five Ibuprofen tablets barely gives relief and Tylenol does nothing.

#

• The pain could have been relieved instant if the dentist had given an anesthesia and opened the root of the canine tooth, followed by antibiotics.
  • Hopefully, he would have prescribed strong painkiller along with Clindamycin.
  • Usually, after root canal treatment the abscess would heal fast and you will not have any pain later.
  • Treat all teeth having abscess, else taking too many antibiotics and painkillers will become inefficient in the future.
  • Do not worry. The pain will go away as soon as your dentist opens up the root to drain the abscess and it will be a painless procedure. Thank you.

For further information consult a dentist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/dentist

|