Q. How long will it take for permanent incisors to erupt after shedding of milk teeth in a 6-year-old kid?

Dr. Paras Angrish

This query is for my daughter who is 6 years and 7 months old. She lost her top primary incisor teeth (universal numbering -9) before four months. She still has not got the permanent teeth until now. She however, has lost the other three incisors and got the permanent teeth. Kindly do let me know if the above delay in the growth of these teeth is normal.

She is taking Eltroxin 25 mg since birth.

Dr. Paras Angrish

Dentistry Paediatric Dentistry
#

As you mentioned your daughter is 6 years and 7 months old. Please confirm if she has lost all her upper primary teeth or lowers where the permanent teeth have come? Other thing is if all the upper four primary incisors are gone and three have come. Generally, we need to see which tooth incisor has not come out of four permanent incisors. If missing tooth is lateral incisor means next to two central incisors then we can wait and watch for another two to three months.

Other scenario is if only one upper incisor is lost three to four months ago and the rest of the milk (primary incisors are intact) then we can still wait two to three more months. But if out of four upper permanent incisors, only one that too central permanent incisor has not come out, then it is better to take radiograph IOPA (intraoral periapical radiograph) x-ray first to rule out any hindrance in the eruption of the tooth or any permanent missing tooth.

If possible click and share the picture of mouth (oral cavity) with teeth and send it across.

Generally, a delay of one year in an eruption of permanent teeth is quite normal. But we need to confirm which tooth is missing and need to see the chronology of other teeth simultaneously to rule out any abnormal changes.

Eruption delay if only one primary tooth was lost and counterpart permanent tooth is missing for the past four months.

IOPA x-ray of upper front teeth.

First need to examine clinically and then if needed IOPA x-ray. And depending on IOPA findings treatments to be planned.

| 

This is an Ad. icliniq or icliniq doctors do not endorse the content in the ad.

What are the treatment options for a cracked tooth?

Query: Hello doctor, While trying to disassemble a monitor, I accidentally hit myself in the face with the base of the monitor. Later, I noticed that my lateral incisor had a crack and the very top of the tooth had chipped off. Based on the research it seems like it is just a craze line. About half of th...  Read Full »

How can I get relief from discomfort caused due to wisdom tooth eruption?

Query: Hello doctor, I am getting wisdom teeth at the back of my mouth. Now I am 22. But I am teething and it feels uncomfortable. What to do to get relief from it?  Read Full »

What is causing my tooth pain - cavity, broken tooth or wisdom tooth eruption?

Query: Hello doctor, I am having tooth pain, and I am not sure what the cause is. I do have a cavity on the top row beside my front tooth, but would that affect my bottom teeth too? The pain feels like a dull pressure, so maybe it is the wisdom teeth? I am 18, so I suppose it is possible, but I do not hav...  Read Full »