Q. My dentist suggested extraction or root canal treatment for my broken tooth. Is this necessary?

Dr. Ummah Mohammad

A small piece of my tooth broke off 2 weeks ago and I feel pain since 1 week. Pain is getting worse. I went to a dentist today and he took a xray. After looking at the xray for 30sec he said there are only 2 options: root canal treatment or extraction. Is this really necessary? What is your opionion. Thank you soo much! It is the tooth in the middle of the xray.

# Dear Patient
-I saw your attachment and understand your concern.
-The thing is when a part of tooth breaks of you are generally left with these 2 options only so yes your dentist is right.
-If it would have been a small portion broken off i.e not reaching pulp then it was possible to go for core buildup only without root canal but in your case pulp is very near,, taking risk may put you in future pain and more complicated processes.
-So I would advise you to better save it and go for root canal treatment because it is one of your important tooth and otherwise strong so why to waste the whole of it by extraction.
-I hope I am clear to you.
-Rest the choice is yours.
-Do revert back for more queries.
-Stay safe.

| 

Are bad smell and brown discoloration in a broken tooth suggestive of infection?

Query: Hello doctor, I broke a big part of my tooth, and I cannot get to the dentist as I have no money and no medical insurance. Now it smells, and looks pale brown color. I am scared, is it infected?  Read Full »

Apart from extraction, what else can be done for a broken tooth with severe pain?

Query: Hi doctor, I am having severe pain in one of my lower molar for a week, which is broken and is falling off in pieces. I do not want to get it removed due to fear of pain. What else can be done?  Read Full »

Can root canal treatment help reduce swelling around infected teeth?

Query: Hi doctor, I have placed caps in my two teeth. Now, I got swelling around the teeth. X-ray has been taken. The doctor told me that there is some infection in the teeth, so it needs a root canal to be done. I do not have any pain in the teeth. I have only swelling in the teeth. Please suggest what to...  Read Full »