Q. How often should I change my toothbrush?

Dr. Tooba Qazi
Published on Apr 27, 2019

How can I take care of toothbrush health? How often to change toothbrush heads or disposable toothbrushes and the negative effects of not changing them often?

Dr. Tooba Qazi

Dentistry
#

Dentists recommend a change of toothbrush every six months. But this toothbrush health depends on patient's brushing habits too. Like if a person does not follow proper brushing techniques and brush his teeth vigorously, or maybe he is suffering from any gum disease and he is brushing more often then he must change his toothbrush more often like at every 2 or 3 months.

Usually, by six months the bristles of toothbrush start weakening, are not performing their function well, some bacterial flora may start growing at bottom of bristles or at back side of toothbrush head where tongue cleaner is given. If such yellow or brown stains start appearing at some surfaces of toothbrush then toothbrush needs to be changed immediately.

At toothbrush replacement, Miswak is the best recommendation. It is like a small bamboo stick and you can easily cut off its bristles after brushing every 2 or 3 days later and it leaches out antibacterial ingredients and has many good affects for your health too. Like it is a cure for all gum diseases.

How many times a day should I brush my teeth?

Query: Hi doctor, How many times a day should I brush my teeth? I recently bought an electronic toothbrush with five modes. I am not new to electronic toothbrushes. I brush my teeth in sensitive mode and I used to wash them three times a day after having food. Sometimes, especially after I had my teeth c...  Read Full >>

Dr. Prerna Jain
Dentist

Answer: Welcome to icliniq.com. The best oral hygiene maintenance method is to brush your teeth with a soft or medium toothbrush and fluoride toothpaste. The electronic toothbrush does not offer any real additional benefit to normal individuals. It is the movements of the toothbrush made by our hands that b...  Read Full

Though I am using electronic toothbrush, gum redness is present. Why?

Query: Hello doctor, I went to the dentist before two months. He said that I had good teeth health and gum health. The only thing is for my front teeth on the top and bottom I developed a frayed appearance around the gumline. He said this was from too much gumline and toothbrush contact and that switching ...  Read Full >>

Answer: Hi,Welcome to icliniq.com.You have an excellent set of healthy teeth. By observing the pictures (attachment removed to protect patient identity), the gums do seem to have puffiness, but only of mild nature.The brush whether electric or not does not matter, just do not touch the gums and stick to the...  Read Full